2.0.1 broke my wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by gdeputy, Aug 5, 2008.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

My wifi still picks up, and my phone has the signal.. but it wont connect? It says i'm under the network, but when I go to settings> and look at WiFi it says "home" (my network name), however, when I click on wifi below choose a network it doesn't show up.

It's picking up the signal, but it wont USE it, i can't open websites, email, ANYTHING. I have to disable WiFi because even though it picks the signal up, it doesn't respond. As I type this i'm ON my WiFi on my laptop...

Did 2.0.1 break my wifi or what?

2. Jowl macrumors 6502

Both my Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are showing as unavailable!

I'm doing (another) restore

:(

3. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

Have you tried turning the phone off and then back on? I know this solved a couple of issues after updating to 2.0.1, like GPS not working.

4. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

yes, trying again now.

See, my WiFi shows up, it just doesn't actually WORK. I know the signal is good though because it's loading everything on my laptop just fine.

5. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

so i waited at the wifi screen and the network showed up, but its still the same, after a restart. I can't imagine it being my router since im using the signal fine here...

i guess restore?

6. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

So I did the restore and its still not connecting. Well, it is, but it's not. Like, It shows that it's connected, the Network name shows up, but website pages just sit there and dont load, same with email.

Same it's been doing before. Is there a way I can reset the network settings or somthing? I may go to my buddies in a bit and i'll know if it works on his WiFi that something is wrong with mine, but since like I mentioned my comp is working fine I can't really see that being the case.

7. JelloExperience macrumors newbie

That happened to me too, but I hadn't noticed until today. I had configured all of the wifi networks I use regularly under 2.0, and when I updated to 2.0.1, everything was still fine.

Until I wanted to update my network to use WPA2. I selected to forget my network, went to enter the information, and it happened. It's like it tries to connect to the network, but something is wrong with its DHCP service, so it fails to take out a lease, and tries again.

I might call Apple today and see if they have a fix; otherwise, hopefully it'll be fixed in 2.0.2. I'm actually wondering if it has something to do with the firmware update that came with 2.0.2 screwing something up, which would probably mean it's time for Apple to issue a replacement device.

8. tekmoe macrumors 68000

i've noticed the exact opposite. my wifi works way better with 2.0.1 than it did before the firmware update. it would always ask if i wanted to connect and would sometimes prompt for the WPA password, only to come back and say it was invalid. i'd click try again and it would work. also, whenever i would put the phone to sleep, it would go back to 3G. when i would wake the phone back up, it would have to reconnect to the wifi. since 2.0.1, it stays connected to the wifi even when i put it to sleep. i also have not seen that pesky password prompt message either.

9. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

My wifi works perfect! I was at lunch yesterday at Wetmore Deli...and I saw there was an open wifi network...so i connected to it...and i was on in seconds. Blazing speed!

The Iphone is tight. I have only had mine for about a week...but no issues so far.

I updated to 2.0.1 the first day I got my phone.

10. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

I hate to say it but you may have just jinxed yourself.

11. dasikes macrumors 6502a

dasikes

Anyone find a fix for this? My friend's iPhone is having the exact same issue (grayed out WiFi) and it just won't work. He called the Apple support, and an Apple engineer said, "Wow! I've never seen that before!".

He's restored, reinstalled iTunes, etc... Anything else y'all can think of?

12. JelloExperience macrumors newbie

Apple techs say it's good and broken. It's getting shipped in for repair tomorrow.