Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
Apple's recent 2.0.1 update is disguised as an "update" but is really a hack on hackers!

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/new...32404.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

Every firmware update to date has done this, why are you surprised that 2.0.1 did this also? Its the same thing with the PSP, every update is Sony trying to un-'jailbreak' the PSPs. It will always be a battle when the company developing the hardware wants to keep control of what software is run on them.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
First of all, this is the same as it's been for over a year now. Nice to see this Gary guy is working hard to bring us the latest news from 2007.

Secondly, he's just making stuff up. Apple "doesn't like" hackers putting their own software on the phone? Why? Says who? How does he know?

He doesn't know. Obviously Apple is going to try and stop the cracking that lets the phone work on other networks. Everybody expects that. As a result of tying the phone down even tighter for THAT purpose, obviously it's going to be more difficult to install other programs on it. Does that mean Apple WANTS to stop those programs? Or are they just an un-lucky victim in the attack on SIM-freeing?

Who knows. I don't sure don't. Gary doesn't. And yet it doesn't stop him from reporting it like a fact he does know.

Raid

macrumors 68020
Feb 18, 2003
Toronto
oh noes!!!1!1! teh haX0rz will B so Pwnd! (For almost a day) :rolleyes:

I haven't hacked my phone, but I can see the desire to do little hacks and free up the app market. Apple will eventually have to relent, but they'll fight it every step of the way.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
Old news, read Dev Team's blog and you would already know this. Latest update did not do much more than changing the baseband apparently.

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
The update has clearly fixed many issues .... while its by no means perfect EVERY update has broken jailbreak and/or unlock

Every update is going to make changes to libraries and remap the baseband to make signal processing better (or worse)

The whole pwnage process is based upon FLAWS and loopholes in code ... by its process of continueous improvement these holes will always move .... sure if the hole is blatant (like the TIFF exploit in the early days) then apple will seal the hole .... but at this moment in time ... apple has a bigger problem of making its millions of 2.0 iphones stable and usable before the whole situation decends into a branding nightmare like Vista ;)

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Wait until Apple secretly infiltrates the hacker community and causes a virus to be released that wipes all hacked iPhones that use it.

It will be big news and scare most people off of hacking their iPhone.

ubersalad

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2008
The update has clearly fixed many issues .... while its by no means perfect EVERY update has broken jailbreak and/or unlock

Every update is going to make changes to libraries and remap the baseband to make signal processing better (or worse)

The whole pwnage process is based upon FLAWS and loopholes in code ... by its process of continueous improvement these holes will always move .... sure if the hole is blatant (like the TIFF exploit in the early days) then apple will seal the hole .... but at this moment in time ... apple has a bigger problem of making its millions of 2.0 iphones stable and usable before the whole situation decends into a branding nightmare like Vista ;)
Personally I have not seen any actual improvement. Apple should just come out and list them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.