Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhagg

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Newport Beach, CA
Not sure if anyone else has noticed this but since the update, the watch is much more sensitive to my arm/wrist movement in terms of waking the watch display, in a good way. This was something that I found annoying having to tap the face to actually see it, but now a flick of the wrist wakes the display every time.

Well done Apple

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA
I was skeptical of this when I first read it. Now that I've updated, it is definitely improved!

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Hate to rain on the parade, but just spent a good 15 minutes testing it compared to my wife's watch that is still running 2.0 and.....

They're the same. It's just the new software placebo effect.

Made very small, calculated movements with my wrist and in no case could I make the updated watch turn on without the other coming on too. One case the outdated watch actually came on and the updated one didn't. But hey, YMMV.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newtons Apple

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Hate to rain on the parade, but just spent a good 15 minutes testing it compared to my wife's watch that is still running 2.0 and.....

Made very small, calculated movements with my wrist and in no case could I make the updated watch turn on without the other coming on too. One case the outdated watch actually came in and the updated one didn't. But hey, YMMV.

I can confirm this. My wife's watch is still on 2.0, and I'm on 2.0.1. Put both watches on her wrist, and they both light up exactly at the same time when wrist raised, at different speeds etc. NO changes there.

Reactions: Newtons Apple

bigred7078

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2010
USA

Made very small, calculated movements with my wrist and in no case could I make the updated watch turn on without the other coming on too. One case the outdated watch actually came in and the updated one didn't. But hey, YMMV.

but but but safari is snappier!!!

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have definitely noticed a difference since I installed 2.0.1. I was starting to grow a little frustrated on 2.0 when I would constantly raise my wrist, and there would be times where the watch face wouldn't come on. Glad to see this was addressed in the new update.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
I've also noticed a difference for the better. Before 2.0.1 there had been a few times when the watch display would not come on. Since updating to 2.0.1. it's worked 100% of the time. Granted this is not scientific but I don't think it's a placebo effect.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've also noticed a difference for the better. Before 2.0.1 there had been a few times when the watch display would not come on. Since updating to 2.0.1. it's worked 100% of the time. Granted this is not scientific but I don't think it's a placebo effect.

The Watch is pretty intelligent in terms of raising your wrist. For example, if your wrist is rotated toward you, and the screen comes on, and then off, you need to rotate your wrist away again and rotate back for it to come on. This is probably what you're seeing as "a few times when the watch display would not come on."

I've never once had the watch not come on when rotating from a natural position to a look-at-my-watch position, since 1.0.1. I really don't mean to be a doofus, but it really amuses me when people see all sorts of changes that are LIKELY not there, from one firmware to another.

Sure, I only have my sample of my wife's 2.0 Watch to my 2.0.1 Watch, but again - both on the same wrist - ZERO difference. I tested over and over, using fast rotations, slow rotations - ZERO difference.

RabbitLuvr

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2011
Kansas City
Raise-to-wake worked really well for me on 1.0.1. I had a very significant decrease in responsiveness after upgrading to 2.0. 2.0.1 seems to have fixed that for me.

(It was one of my two gripes with 2.0; the other being major lag when pressing buttons on the screen. Example: On 1.0.1, I'd finish a workout and press the "save" button; I would get the animation feedback that I pressed, almost instantly, and it would save. After 2.0, I press "save" and my watch does nothing so after a five or so seconds I press "save" again. It then takes a second or so and I get the "workout saved" screen- but no animation inbetween of the button being pressed. Sometimes it takes three or four presses before my workout is saved, so I'm just standing there poking at my watch like an idiot. That one still doesn't seem fixed, sadly.)

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
The Watch is pretty intelligent in terms of raising your wrist. For example, if your wrist is rotated toward you, and the screen comes on, and then off, you need to rotate your wrist away again and rotate back for it to come on. This is probably what you're seeing as "a few times when the watch display would not come on."

I've never once had the watch not come on when rotating from a natural position to a look-at-my-watch position, since 1.0.1. I really don't mean to be a doofus, but it really amuses me when people see all sorts of changes that are LIKELY not there, from one firmware to another.

Sure, I only have my sample of my wife's 2.0 Watch to my 2.0.1 Watch, but again - both on the same wrist - ZERO difference. I tested over and over, using fast rotations, slow rotations - ZERO difference.

There is nothing wrong in the way I raise my wrist to check my Apple watch. It did not work consistently before 2.0.1 and now it does. Simple as that. There has been no significant change in the way I raise my wrist. There is definitely a difference in how this performs with 2.0.1 compared to previous watch OS versions even if you think there isn't. I have no idea why it's the same for you.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.