2.0.1 & SMS Sounds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jw nyc, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jw nyc macrumors 6502a

I thought 2.0.1 would fix the SMS sound issue where it just stops making sounds after a while but I am still having this problem! Basically the only way to get my SMS sounds back is to turn the phone off and then on again. It still vibrates when I get a new message but just doesnt play the tone. Does everyone else have this same issue and is Apple aware of it? This is extremely frustrating!

2. Harpy007 macrumors regular

Now that you mention it... I do remember receiving txt messages without any sound. I thought it was because my phone was in my pocket. I now have 2.0.1 and every txt I received did play a sound. I'll keep you posted

3. DrakeSavage macrumors newbie

this happens to me atleast once a day...very annoying

4. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I haven't had that problem, but I hope you find a solution.

5. michael31986 macrumors 68030

i have that happen to. After the update it seems that a restart now fixes it for a longer period than 2.0 did, but it still randomly stops making alerts noises for texts and needs to be restarted or just wait until it randomly kicks in again.

i wonder why some people get it and others dont. maybe some of you aren't texting as much and when you do get a text is when it randomly choose to work lol

6. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Me too. When my iPhone is on for about 24 hours the locking sounds as well as the SMS tone becomes delayed further and further until the sounds don't play at all... Had this issue since 2.0...

7. Ju1ce macrumors newbie

yeah same here it drives me crazy i call the apple store and went in to get this fix but they cant and wount do anything about this :mad:

8. jw nyc thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm sure it will eventually be fixed by a software update but it's EXTREMELY annoying. I hoped that 2.0.1 would do it but I guess not. Hopefully Apple is aware of it and is currently working on a fix.

9. NiroshanMan macrumors 6502

10. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

I've had this problem. Hopefully it'll get fixed in the next update. I don't have to turn my iPhone off to fix it though, just change the SMS tone that you have and it should start playing again. I know it's not a fix, but it's a workaround, and it beats having to hard reset the phone.

11. Wailord macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, and it's quite irritating... defeats the purpose of having it ring, as I still have to check it constantly. :(

12. michael31986 macrumors 68030

im glad more than just a few people have it. so its not hardware. ugh i never understood why some phones had it and others don't if we all have the same firmware.

13. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

ONLY on 2.0.1....in 2.0 EVERYTHING was perfect...no lagg on SMS, no lagg in e-mail...no apps crashing, all the sounds perfect....

2.0.1.....i get EVERYTHING...i get lagg in SMS and E-Mail..i get no sounds sometimes for incoming txts..apps crash sometimes...

can some1 walk me through restoring before the 2.0.1 came out?

14. iSurfHi macrumors regular

iSurfHi

Text sounds :(

Yeah me too I have been texting all day and the only thing it does vibrates and no sound bummer. I have to turn off my phone then the rings sound appears then it goes away. I sure hope it gets fixed on the next update I depend on the sound!

15. VeNoMiZeD macrumors 6502

I can definitely verify that there was lagging in 2.0 for email. Anytime I wanted to delete my first email it would get stuck for 2-3 seconds then go back to normal.

16. stevey500 macrumors 6502

I'm having the same issue too.. Was having that issue in 2.0 also... really BAD.

I'm very irritated. This is my first iphone, its been a couple weeks having it now. It's a shame to say I think I loved my motorola CDMA phones a little more! ... Until these issues go away I'm not very happy with my iphone. . . yeah it had AWESOME features, does crazy things, but almost doesn't seem worth it to the annoyances that 2.0 firmware is having so bad right now... along with shi**y battery life when 3G is enabled.

Has anyone tried a Restore to see if the problem(s) persists? Maybe some of us got flaky-flashed 3G iphones in production...

Talking of restoring, IF I do restore.... (and of course do a backup before that)... when the restore is finished, how do I go about restoring the phone from a backup?

When I restore from a backup, will it restore my contacts from an iTunes data file? Or will it only copy the contacts out of my OS/X address book? Because my OS/X address book doesn't have even half of the contacts my iPhone contains.

thanks.

-steve

17. rhs7787 macrumors member

This is starting to drive me crazy. I am constantly checking my phone because my sms sounds go out constantly. I have yet to upgrade the firmware as I have been reading about all the problems people are having. Im hoping apple fixes this problem soon.

18. michael31986 macrumors 68030

has anyone reported this problem to apple. it should be fixed next firmware or else they are really being lazy.

19. Malcster macrumors 6502

Yup, raised bug report on the 15th of July, still listed as Open, no feedback as yet.

20. Ori macrumors 6502

Yup. Happens to me ALL the time and I am on 2.01 now.

21. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Since getting my iPhone 3G about a week ago, I have not plugged it into my computer. I don't have any music on my phone. I use my old iPod for my tunes. The only reason I will sync my phone to my computer is for software updates. Based on this thread, I'm now hesitant to update to 2.0.1.
    Should I update to 2.0.1 or should I keep my phone the way it is? _Thank you. :)

22. svenito macrumors member

Suffering from the same problem... happened on 2.0 and happens now on 2.0.1

Frustrating as you have to turn the phone off and back on to fix it (as far as I can tell). Not one of the phone's best features I must say

23. michael31986 macrumors 68030

this bites!! is it only 3g phones or the old iphones that are updated also have the problem.