2.0.1 texting keyboard still lags -- apple, why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Aug 7, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

dear apple,

1.1.3's texting was fine. 1.1.4 introduced huge lag while loading the sms app. 2.0 introduced keyboard lag, and now 2.0.1 has this issue as well. why are you ignoring a basic function of the phone?

anyone else having this issue? i thought this was fixed!

2. pintnight macrumors 6502

2.0.1 fixed the lagging issue that I had with SMS, along with Safari, iPod, etc.

3. profetto macrumors regular

Ya, my SMS keyboard is pretty laggy, never really noticed before, but I don't do alot of texting.

4. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

yeah mine still lags occasionally. I'm afraid of things getting worse before they get better.

5. Harpy007 macrumors regular

When I installed 2.0.1, the lag was gone and I was pretty happy. I thought finally, the phone is getting less buggy but today I got some huge lag both in sms and in mail. Please Apple, fix this! I had no problems with 1.3 :(

6. Lakailb87 macrumors regular

Same thing with mine, when I first installed it, it seemed to be fine but now it is still doing the lagging thing. I had another problem with my iphone 3g last night as well, the screen wouldnt get back on I had to plug it in and do a reset. Has that happend to anyone else?

7. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

My 16Gb 3G is doing exactly the same - a problem I thought was fixed. It's really damn annoying, as I use SMS quite a lot.

8. ppilone macrumors 6502

Agreed - the first couple days with 2.0.1 seemed to have fixed the sms keyboard lag. Went to text this morning and had to exit the sms app twice because the keyboard was useless :(

9. jediistar macrumors 6502

I second the comments that it was fine the first few days and then just now it started up all over again.

10. Pointer macrumors regular

Still get the lag occassionally as well. Get it sorted please Apple!

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

So far, I haven't seen the lag in my 2.0.1 iPhone. Maybe I just don't type fast enough?:p

12. jsquared macrumors 6502

jsquared

Mine still lags as well. What exactly did the update do?

13. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Mine stopped lagging for about six hours. Then it went right back to its old ways. The lag when waiting for the Contacts page to load is noticably better. Compared to my friend who has yet to upgrade to 2.0.1, my contacts are loaded about 3 times faster - and we both have about the same amount of contacts. I really hope Apple fixes this issue. I've gotten used to blind typing on the keypad (like switching keyboards, typing words, etc, while it's still lagging about 20 clicks behind), but it's really annoying.

14. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Horribly laggy even on 2.0.1

My old windows mobile phone was no where near this buggy or laggy.

15. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

what the iPhone needs...

Attached Files:

16. Bodhi395 macrumors 6502a

Isn't the problem that the iPhone now is basically a miniture computer. Being a computer, it's not going to work perfectly all the time and different programs and memory issues and such are going to make it laggy and unresponsive sometimes. I know on my mac, there are plenty of times a program will lock up, crash, or act laggy. I think this is happening with the iPhone, and I think apple is doing as good a job as they can to have all these features in the iPhone working, but it's just not going to be perfect.

17. fisha macrumors regular

yes, but in a computer, the keyboard input normally has a very high priority in the list of things that the processor should deal with ... it'll normally jump the queue over a lot of other pending tasks ... and the iphone should act in a similar manner.

18. nimda0 macrumors 6502

nimda0

Agreed, the keyboard lag is the most annoying thing i've had to deal with in the last 6 months...... i'm talking in life in general! lol

19. ag227 macrumors regular

like http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=539478 ??

i got it exchanged no questions asked, only took aslong as them physicaly changing over the phone from new box.

20. Col Ronson macrumors 6502a

i'll have what he's having...

21. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Not sure about addressing the post "Dear Apple". To my knowledge, they don't read these forums. U should direct you comments to them directly through the feedback link on their site or post in their support forums.

22. MyJelleo macrumors 6502

It's weird because the numbers and letters all lag, but the symbols don't. I know that someone else mentioned this phenomenon here.