2.0.2 Doesn't fix mysterious ring volume reset

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sputnik 57, Aug 20, 2008.

1. Sputnik 57 macrumors newbie

One of my few complaints about the iPhone is that the ring volume is too low. It is especially hard to hear it ring when driving in my noisy car. I downloaded the iphone commercial ringtone and cranked the volume, which helps a lot, but the volume won't stay cranked. If I go to check sound settings after while (usually first thing in the morning), the ring volume is reset to a little less than half. I was hoping 2.0.2 would fix this bug. Anyone else seeing this?

2. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Hmmmm, try checking your volume setting for the iPod app. I had this same problem (non F/W issue) and discovered it was due to leaving the voulme to halfway (in error).

3. bigscotal macrumors 6502

bigscotal

Yup, this has been bugging me too. Every time I check the ringtone volume it is set almost at the bottom of the slider.

On the advice of vrflyer I have just tried adjusting to ipod volume then returning to the ringtone volume setting, and lo and behold, it mimics exactly where the volume of the ipod was left.

Surely they haven't been so stupid as not to have the ipod volume and the ring volume as two seperate entities? :confused:

4. nparmelee macrumors 6502

My hubby has this problem too, but I noticed that his case can hit the volume control so depending on how he drops it in the case, he's changing the volume just by casing it. I also noticed he has a tendency to put his thumb on the volume adjuster when he's holding it with his left hand. Not hard to see how he's changing the volume by himself even if he doesn't realize it.

5. cfairbank macrumors 6502

have the same issue with my white 3g. If I turn the volume all the way up using the rocker on the side of the iPhone from the home screen then if I go into settings volume is at half or all the way down. Went to genius bar and showed them the issue. He was perplexed and ended up giving me a new phone. After we swithed the phones and upgraded the software in store I still had the same issue. I do not think it effects the volume of the phone because I have tested it and I still hear he ringer as if of were all the way up. I hope this issue will be addressed in a fifer software update.

6. crayonshin macrumors member

Goes back to max automatically for ringer/msg alert

This used to bug me too until I realized that it automatically changes back to full volume for the ring/message tone. Actually I just did an experiment:

Set volume to max. Used and app that uses sound (iPod, YouTube, midomi, etc). After using the app, I went and looked at the volume and saw that it was a little less than half. I left the volume alone and exited back to home. Then I called myself from another phone and noticed ringer was loud. I didn't pick up the call (so it would not change the volume slider again) but instead declined and went to the volume settings and it was on max! Tried the same thing with an email as well and got the same result. So I'd say it's working fine.

By the way, I'm still on 2.0.1 but 2.0.2 is the same I imagine. Try it out.

7. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

I thought the same, but after testing on purpose it does behave in the manner I posted and as you've found out for yourself. It's the least of my worries, but def. "wacky" behavior from a S/W stance point.

8. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

I did try bigscotal's theory and sure enough....whatever volume you leave your ipod level at becomes the ringtone volume. WTF man what about seperate levels is right....stupid. Thanks for that bigscotal, it was driving me nuts and I couldnt figure out why it was doing that.

9. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

I also have this problem, and at 1st i thought it was just me. I had this problem since 2.0

I hope apple fixes this annoying problem soon!

10. michael31986 macrumors 68030

so pretty much if you have your ringer/ alerts set to loud on ur phone. it will be loud no matter what the bar says on sounds? the bar on sounds is more for ipod music and youtube?

what if i change it to max when playing a song? will it stay on max?

or does it decrease again when i get called?

cause i notice my ringing is always loudest it can be when it rings

11. imapfsr macrumors regular

imapfsr

Just remember too set the volume to full before you leave the ipod function and your ringtone will be full. Whatever you leave the ipod volume at your ringtone will be that volume as well.

12. michael31986 macrumors 68030

^ thats not true, didn't people state above that no matter what u leave ur ipod/youtube volume at your volume for ringtone is still high?

i still hear my phone ring as loud even when its half way. its as if when it rings it automatically sets to the max that you set it to originally when u clicked the up button on the side of the phone

if u look and press ur up button on the side of your phone you will see the ringer is up, but if u look at sounds its half way..

its as if there are 2 volume things.

13. California King macrumors 65816

Yeah definitely a careless mistake by Apple. Hope they fix it soon. Till then I just use vibrate.

14. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is my number one hate of the iPhone. Its really annoying when using the headphones on a call. No matter how I set the ringer volume if a call comes in while I'm listening to the iPod it will be really quiet and not comparable volume to the iPod I was just listening to.

Some other sound related bugs... If youset the ringer switch to silent and then go to the sounds in settings while using the heaphones... Ringtones will play quietly via both the headphones and the speaker despite being set to silent whereas text message sound will play really loudly but only through the headphones and NOT the speakers! Try the new mail or voicemail sounds however and they will not play at all despite hitting the switch to off then back to the on position!

Then I find the blinking volume slider has gone back to halfway again!

And why does the speaker play the ringtone at all when you have the headphones plugged in anyway?! In fact, I think ALL sounds should be muted (except through headphones if you have them plugged in) while the ringer switch is in silent mode!

Don't tell me previous iPhone users have been plagued with these bugs for over a year now?!

15. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

i heard that this problem resets your phone's earpiece/ringer to the volume that your iPod's volume is set at for some reason.

16. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

iphone 2.0.anything doesn't seem to fix much of anything.. I haven't had this issue yet but I have a few other ones driving me crazy.

17. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

The funny thing is when I first went to 2.0.2 I had this bug, restored once and it went away, restored again yesterday and it came back. Utterly weird.