2.0.2 Network Icon Bug

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Black.Ice., Aug 18, 2008.

1. Black.Ice. macrumors newbie

Hello All,

I just updated my iphone to 2.0.2 a few hours ago. But now, I have a little problem (more like an annoyance). I am currently using Wi-fi at my house. But when I put it to sleep and wake it up a few minutes later, the network icon shows 3G but then after about 10 seconds or so...it'll switch back to wi-fi as if nothing happened. I've tried restarting the phone, and reseting the networking settings, but no luck. I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problems.

Mind you, this is the only problem i've come across. Everything else in 2.0.2 is fairly smooth.

Thanks

2. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

Normal?

I thought this was normal behavior? Mine (v2.0.1) does this, as did my first-generation iPhone.

"Johnny Dangerously"

3. Cask Guest

I think that's completely normal, it even happened with my 1st Gen iPhone. When an iPhone goes to sleep, it disconnects itself from Wi-Fi so that it saves power (what do u need wi-fi for if it is in sleep mode right?) as soon as you wake it up, it will look up to see if that network is available and connect to it if it finds it, but it will be by default on 3G or Edge and take a few seconds to connect to wi-fi.

4. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

this has happened forever so I'd say its not a bug, you probably just havent noticed it.

5. Black.Ice. thread starter macrumors newbie

oh.....I've never really noticed on other versions.

Ah well....Thanks anyways.

6. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

LOL. Dude, stick to actual problems. If you don't have any, count your blessings and stop lookin. Even if this was a "bug", what's the downside?

7. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

agreed

8. squeakyclutch macrumors member

squeakyclutch

Mine has been like this, and continues to be like this. Within wifi zone, when I wake my phone from standby, the first thing i see is the 3g icon......or edge.....never wifi.

9. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

It's because the iPhone doesn't stay connected to WiFi when sleeping but it does stay connected to 3G (or Edge)... so when you wake it up, it is already connected to 3G/Edge, but it takes a few seconds to reconnect to WiFi.

10. crazymexx macrumors member

crazymexx

True, when connected to wifi....the iphone switches to Edge for calls and uses the wifi to surf the web while on call or not

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

The network icon shows 3G?

Lucky bastard. I only get that for 3-4 seconds before it disappears (=reverts to GSM/EDGE). And that's in a location where other 3G phones get 4-5 bars worth of rock solid 3G signal. It's depressing, but also hysterical, that this defunct prototype of a 3G phone is actually being mass produced.

12. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

I'd say this is the desired behavior designers intended. Firstly, you don't want your phone staying connected to WiFi while sleeping and sucking the life out of your battery. Secondly, the phone network is primary and needs to be on so that the phone can receive any calls.

Most certainly not a bug.

13. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Not a bug; my old 1st gen did the same thing and my 3g has always done it as well.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

This isn't a bug - this is expected behavior.

15. ynnoj macrumors member

ynnoj

This is normal behaviour, even back in the 1.0 days.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

If you left the WiFi on on your phone,, I'm not sure what other behavior you would have expected...the iPhone will always pick the fastest available connection.