2.0 Alum Macbook good enough for gaming?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gnikcjack, Oct 19, 2008.

1. gnikcjack macrumors member

I don't really understand the benchmarks, so will there be a huge difference with regard to games?

2. ATimson macrumors regular

Compared to the old MacBooks, yes, though I don't think they'll be as good as the old Pros were.

3. Aniki macrumors regular

Depends. For WoW, starcraft, spore, CoD4, Yes. For crysis, Fallout 3, oblivion (or at least not setting EVERYTHING to low and smallest resolution), You would be better off getting a pro. Some new games like starcraft 2 may work, but if you want to run all the latest games. Get a 2.4 GHz regular. A refurb pro (cheapest one can run crysis on high), or if your willing to shell out more $$$ get the new pro. It all depends on your needs. Lack of firewire may not be good for you as well.

4. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

If you are buying a laptop primarily for gaming stay away from the Macbook. Either go with the Pro or a PC.

5. Paramecium macrumors newbie

Unless you're talking about really high-end games like Crysis, the new MB's are fine. I can run games like the Sims 2, X-Plane, and WoW with almost every setting maxed out and still get around 25-30 fps.

6. ATimson macrumors regular

Crysis is admittedly high-end. But there's a huge span of games that have come out between Sims 2 and WoW, three-plus years ago, and now, which probably aren't going to run that well on max settings. ;)

You also have to consider that most games would have to be run in Boot Camp (a pain), or in a VM (slow), whereas there are Mac ports of all three games that you mentioned (which is what I assume you're running).