2.0 Alum Macbook or 2.4 Refurbished Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ALongoria23, Dec 31, 2008.

1. ALongoria23 macrumors member

I'm not to sure this is the right place to be asking such a question, but I'll shoot for it.

I'm in the process of looking for a Macbook. I have heard good things about the new Aluminum Macbooks, but have noticed that lowest price has just the standard Ram & HD Size. Now i was browsing the Refurbish section and saw that they had a 2.4 GHZ white macbook for a great price, but my question is while it's an older model should I still go for 2.4 refurbished one?

2. ai4281 macrumors newbie

It depends on what you want to do. If you're going to play games, go with the Alum Macbook, even if there's a premium. If you're going for web browsing, desktop publishing, and other not-as-graphic intensive work, go for the white macbook.

Although they say Snow Leopard is going to take better advantage of the graphic card, if you don't need your system to be top notch, go for what is cheaper.

I own a 2.4 white book, and I love it. It's pretty solid, and very fast.
    Alum Macbook is cool though.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

4. goldfronts macrumors member

i'd take an aluminum macbook over a plastic macbook any day. my old white macbook was great but it just felt too flimsy to me. i was afraid to carry it around - my aluminum macbook is as sturdy as can be. i like the screen a lot better, as well.

hard drives and ram can always be upgraded; keep that in mind

5. Heimlich macrumors member

Keep in mind that the low end aluminum macbook has also made an appearance at the refurbished store (a week or two ago) for $200 off.
    So if you're willing to go for refurbished, compare those two.
    Not sure when that 2.0ghz macbook will show up again but Im planning to buy one myself around the end of January.
    Hmm... so if i were you id wait and buy that 2.0 aluminum macbook when it shows up

6. therealdt macrumors regular

it was just a thread on here, those with Alum MB will say get the Alum MB, and those with the WhiteBook will say get he WB. What will you use the laptop for?

7. dnguyen macrumors regular

alum if you like the design, need more intensive graphics, trackpad

what f you lie the design, need faster proc

8. ALongoria23 thread starter macrumors member

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Pretty much.

If you will not be playing games or doing heavy graphic design, go for the aluminum MacBook. If not, it's more economical to go with the white one.

10. Heimlich macrumors member

just editing a small error. I know what you mean

11. Macintosh Sauce macrumors 6502

Macintosh Sauce

If you get the white MacBook, give me a PM because I have 4 GB of SAMSUNG RAM to sell for it.

12. therealdt macrumors regular

Go for the WhiteBook, spend what you save on accessories, ram, etc.

I'm sure everyone will say go for the Alum MB.

13. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

Go for which ever you want...there is no wrong choice. Better graphics with the glassbook, and the faster FSB makes the CPU speed difference not that big of a deal. But a better deal money-wise for the refurb unit.

I've owned the first gen whitebook, a last gen blackbook, and now a glassbook and loved them all.

14. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I've had my 2GHz C2D MacBook for almost 9 months and it's been great. Loaded it up with 4GB of RAM and it never skips a beat. It replaced my iMac of the same processor speed and have loved every minute of using it. I use it for iTunes, Safari, iPhoto, occasional iMovie, Word, PowerPoint, etc. and it's amazing. I did have a chance to check out a Alu MacBook today, and the quality is much more evident. It doesn't feel flimsy, and of course it won't scratch like the WhiteBook. It's all up to you, but IMO I wouldn't sell my MacBook for a Alu model.

15. polee macrumors 6502

polee

If you need firewire, go for the white book. Otherwise, either is fine. I am using a whitebook and am quite happy with it.

16. Heimlich macrumors member

I just checked the refurb store. The 2.0 aluminum macbook is back up. Probably be gone again in 3 days.

Im buying sometime after this February so.. just a month left! WOOO..