2.0 backing up ipod everytime i plug in wtf?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Dilard, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Dilard macrumors newbie

so i go to sync and it backs up my ipod i let it go thinking that would make it stop but no matter what now it just keeps doing it this sucks

2. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

Yeah, I know. Everytime it does this. :(
    Although I think if u click the little "x" and cancel it then everything will still be fine. I tried to look in preferences, but no way to really turn it off.

3. AceFernalld macrumors 65816

AceFernalld

Same here! Whenever I just want to add a new application or song it starts to back up my iPod, and it takes over an hour! :mad:

Someone please tell us if there is a fix for this in preferences, or if this is a bug that will be fixed!

4. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

I don't really think it's a bug. I think it's meant to happen. :mad:

5. Dilard thread starter macrumors newbie

and it freezesing my itunes and all kinds of gay **** we pay for 2.0 and its still buggy this sucks but ill live cause i love apple

6. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

I love Apple's products. Their support and some software is not real good.

7. Dilard thread starter macrumors newbie

glad its not just me hope they fix this cause this sucks

8. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

Knowing Apple, It could take ages. :rolleyes:

9. David G. macrumors 6502a

Wow. Mine takes over a minute, but I still find this very annoying.

10. nintendofreak93 macrumors regular

Mine takes about 15 mins. It prob matters how much gigs is full on ure touch.

11. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Explanations for these happenings:

1: Taking 'ages' ie more than 10 mins:
    - You downloaded many apps/songs on the go, and iTunes is backing them up onto the computer.
    2: Taking more than 1 minute:
    - You probably downloaded 1 or 2 apps on the go. It's backing them up.
    3: Never ending:
    - Hit cancel, unplug, plug back in, retry.
    3: Crashing iTunes:
    - See above

Hope this helps

SuperMacMan

12. amcan12 macrumors member

Mine takes 3+ hours, with only ~1 GB of space used on Touch. Nothing downloaded "on-the-go" all synced always from iTunes.

It's not a solution, just a workaround -

1. In iTunes Preferences/Syncing place check mark next to "Disable automating syncing of all iPods and iPhones" - this part prevents auto sync as well as auto backup every time Touch or iPhone is plugged in.

2. Do manual sync when needed. Once you click on sync the crazy backup of course will also start - but clicking on x in top window where it says "backing up" will stop the backup without affecting sync. Sync will complete.

But we still need a permanent solution to this annoyance.

13. amcan12 macrumors member

Page 108 of iPod Touch 2.0 User Guide:

iTunes creates backups of settings, downloaded applications, and other information on iPod Touch.

Accordingly to Apple all media are not being backed up as they are presumably still in your iTunes library and you can easy sync them back.

I only wonder why the same presumption was not considered when creating the backup application in the first place.

For example I have purchased through iTunes about 720 MB worth of apps, they were all downloaded to Mobile Applications folder on my Mac anyway and I don't need any backups of them. I can sync them back to Touch any time I want.

Why Backup is not checking/comparing content of Mobile Applications and backing up only those purchased directly through Touch?!!!

Why backup application is not making incremental backups instead of backing up every time all apps?!!!

Why backing up 720 MB worth of apps takes 3+ hours, while it took less than 20 minutes to put them on Touch in the first place?!!!

Blows my mind... :confused::mad:

14. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I have 14.6gb on mine but it takes less than a minute to back-up. It should only back-up settings if you havent d/led anything to the touch.

15. amcan12 macrumors member

It would be nice if you would read my post before replying. I clearly stated that I have 720 MB of apps on my Touch. And of course without apps backup takes little bit longer than blink of an eye as it is only backing up settings. But it is not what my post was about. Please read it next time.

16. Jelite macrumors 6502a

I didnt read your post and i wasnt replying to you.:)

17. B1gMac macrumors regular

B1gMac

Yeah, I hate this! It is soooo annoying! Is anybody going to contact Apple about this? Please do! I would if I knew who I should write to...