2.0 Battery Life / Charging

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by burdendds, Nov 2, 2008.

1. burdendds macrumors newbie

I was an early adopter of the MBA 1.0 and had to return it due to all the "Rev A" issues that plague Apple machines (just look at the new MBPs and MBs). The unit I had back then had about a 2-3 hours of use (vs. Apple's claimed 5) and it took FOREVER to fully charge the battery. Not to mention the core shut downs, ridiculously loud 6200 rpm fan, excessive heat, etc. etc.

I was wondering if any early 2.0 owners could comment on battery life or charging. Have they fixed this problem? Any 1.0 owners notice less batt. life now that Apple claims 4.5 and we have the nvidia chipset?

I'm sitting on the fence with trigger finger itching to get a new 1.8 SSD...

2. aufmobi macrumors newbie

aufmobi

no word on the mba 2s, but I hear a lot of the charging complaints from the new MBP crowd now.

3. Essjay macrumors regular

The 2.0's charge quickly up to 80% but it takes mine an 1.5-2 hr's to fully charge, very annoying.

4. six.four macrumors 6502

I'd also like to hear any improvements on charging times.

My assumption has always been that the slow charging times were to help preserve the integrity of the battery as long as possible. I would trade longer charge times for battery longevity any day.

I remember reading in a battery forum that quick chargers cause wear on batteries and therefore decrease the overall longevity. Seeing as the macbook air has "officially" a non user replaceable battery, it made sense that they would try to compromise so that they could maintain the health of the battery as long as possible.

5. burdendds thread starter macrumors newbie

How long to 80%? Like 1 hour? Then 1.5-2 more hours on top of that? I can deal with 3 hours. My Rev A took anywhere from 6-12 hours to charge before...

6. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

6-12 hrs?!? ... is that for Real :eek::confused:

7. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Sorry to disappoint but the charging is just about the same as Gen. 1.

8. ghileman macrumors regular

NC Mac Guy, what are you getting for battery time? i didn't own rev 1, but my rev 2 seems to coming in around 4 hours.

9. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

3 hr. 50 min. - 4 1/2 hours. It can do 4.5 hrs. with screen brightness turned down, using Word and not a lot of flash site surfing.

10. ghileman macrumors regular

Nice!

11. twist2b macrumors regular

One thing people don't relize in batteries is the "gaps" that batteries get over time. After 2 years you can loose over 30 minutes of battery life FOREVER! The "slow" charging is actually a good thing. It wont produce those "gaps" that kill your battery over a period of time... which could be a big problem in an AIR since you can't replace the battery. :p

12. Essjay macrumors regular

Havent done a full cycle yet, I will post results soon but I dont expect much change from the 1st gen.

13. icymountain macrumors regular

Well, actually, a 30 minutes loss in battery life after two years is not too bad. :)

If one could promise me my MBA battery is going to survive so well, I would sign right now... For the records, my MBP is about 2 years old; the original battery has already died completely (would run out of juice after less than 10 minutes), whereas another one (used since I got the MBP, since I got an extra battery at that time) is showing signs of fatigue... So, yes, my experience with laptop batteries has been very bad so far.