2.0 Broke my iTouch Please HElp

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MattGTO, Jul 12, 2008.

1. MattGTO macrumors regular

MattGTO

My ipod can't get past the apple logo booting up...how do I restore it? It isn't being recognized...help me please :(

2. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

3. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

I tried holding resetting and then only holding the home button when the logo appears, but that didnt work!!! Pelase, anyone help...I am in super panick mode!!!

4. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

Well, somehow iTunes Recognized it, but with no information. I clicked "Restore", and I got error 1601...help?

I am thinking of just getting the Apple store to replace it tomorrow, but they will probably be swamped with ppl buying 3G's.

5. Astro8973 macrumors regular

Astro8973

i dont know what the deal is! mine wont respond to anything! it wont turn on and it wont turn on when i plug it in to itunes. im royaly pissed!

6. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

7. dpslade14 macrumors member

8. mark10197 macrumors member

9. Darkside06 macrumors newbie

Darkside06

Hold both buttons down until it goes into Restore.

10. MattGTO thread starter macrumors regular

MattGTO

I've ben trying that, but somehow it just decided to work!!! I am so (partially, hasn't worked completely yet) relieved!!! Thanks a million (or at least 500,000)

11. aethelbert macrumors 601

I'm having the same problem and I've just decided to take it into the store when I'm in the states on Tuesday.

12. dpslade14 macrumors member

I Have Held Both Buttons And All I Get Is The Apple Logo. Should It Take Too Long?

13. Darkside06 macrumors newbie

Darkside06

It took mine 20 to 30 seconds maybe.

14. mikie3000 macrumors newbie

i have what seems to be a permanent jailbreak o_O

Hey guys i decided to buy the new update(2.0) and was very excited about it, the update downloaded and it was being installed just fine, but in the middle of the process it said the recovery failed and an error (6) message. Before buying the update the ipod was running on 1.1.4 JB through Ziphone. So I searched thoroughly in lots of forums(including this one) and even apple's support page but the only useful thing i could find was iDemocracy, which tells u the status of ur ipod and thats when i realized i have a big problem, even after restoring my ipod several times (10 as of now) it still says mi ipod is Jailbroken but the installer app doesnt show on the screen at all.

here are the things ive tried according to the things ive read:

-Restarted computer
    -Different usb port
    -Restore ipod on different computer
    -Restore on DFU mode
    -Used the Refurbish option in iDemocracy
    -Restored to different FWs (from 1.1.1 to 1.1.4)
    -Normal Recovery Mode

I was wondering if any of u guys could help me, every bit of help is appreciated.
    I would much appreciate if u could tell me how to completely remove the Jailbreak, since i paid for the update i wanna use it and go legit with the apps.
    Thnx in advance

15. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Recovery Mode

The restore didn't work for me either. (I used ZiPhone too.) Set the iPod Touch back into recovery mode. That worked for me. To do this connect you Touch to iTunes. Then hold the power button and the home button till it switches off. Let go off the power button but keep pressing the home button. After a few seconds you should see the picture where the Touch tells you to connect it with iTunes. This process wipes out everything on you iPod Touch.

16. diveblk macrumors newbie

The same thing is happening to me as mikie3000, I have been up all night trying many things such as ziphine using iErase, no help, now I have 2 mac books and I can restore my itouch on one but not the other, I got the 2.0 update on the one that won't work, I'll have my itouch working but when I try and update it falls in to the same thing, having to go in recovery mode, I think that there is no way around it, if you have jailbroken your itouch you can't update to 2.0 or something, I'm currently looking for a way to restore my ipod to a way it was before I jb it, ill report anything I find on here and hope you people having the same problem will too, thxs.

17. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Oh heaven help these poor souls. Sorry to be rude, but, you did a REALLY stupid thing. 2.0 WILL NOT brick your Touch - if you do it right!

Now, what you SHOULD have done, going from 1.1.4 jailbroken to 2.0 NOT jailbroken, and not having gotten 2.0 yet too!:
    1) With a WORKING Touch, Connect it to iTunes, press 'Restore', when finished DO NOT press 'restore from backup', press 'new iPod' instead. This is VERY important!!!! Also, hit 'remind me later' on the 2.0 update page. You WILL LOSE all your desktop web icons too!
    2) Let it sync all your songs back onto it, when you know it's done disconnect & test that it all works. There should be NO INSTALLER.APP!
    3) Reconnect, and hit upgrade to 2.0 firmware on the 2.0 page that should automatically appear. This will cost you $9.95 USD, or $12.99 AUD.
    4) Let the 2.0 download, DO NOT disconnect or even TOUCH the Touch at all! Leave it, you can do without it for 30 mins while it upgrades!
    5) Let it install the upgrade. Mine took about 20 mins to install (30 to download), it appears nothing is happening but IT IS!
    6) When it finishes, test that everything works, and try download an app. This works different to Jailbreak, you hit install in AppStore, it returns to the springboard (desktop) and has the icon with 'loading...', this means its downloading the app. It then says 'installing...' and will install. The blue bar shows how far complete it is. DO NOT touch the iPod during app installs! (Unless the display dims, then touch it ONCE)
    7) Hopefully 2.0 works for you - no problems!

Tell me if it won't work for you after following this guide.

SuperMacMan

18. SuperMacMan macrumors regular

SuperMacMan

Oh, and the silly peeps who bricked their Touches, then follow this:

1) Connect the iPod to the computer you purchased 2.0 on. NOT ANOTHER COMPUTER. ONLY the one you will always use your Touch with!
    2) Press & HOLD the sleep AND home buttons together. You should see the Apple logo.
    3) Now release the SLEEP button but NOT the home button.
    4) Should now show the 'Connect to iTunes' screen (iTunes logo, with the dock/USB plug).
    5) When iPod appears in iTunes, hit 'restore', wait for it to restore, and when it asks you to restore from a backup or new iPod, hit 'new iPod'. You WILL LOSE all web apps that you placed on your SpringBoard!!!
    6) Let it put music, etc back onto it.
    7) Hopefully all should work. Take a test run!!

If this don't work lemme know.

SuperMacMan

19. sseelman macrumors regular

My touch bricked, and I had to get a replacement

Just wanted to let people know about this. I had a std. 16GB touch with no jailbreak and no January update. Downloaded 2.0 on Saturday AM and it ended up failing and giving me an error 9. Called AppleCare and they had me delete the 2,0 and DL it again. Did not work. Basically iTunes showed "waiting for iPod" and my Ipod had a spinning thing at the bottom. Nothing was working.

Took it to the Apple MacGenius locally here and he tested the iPod and found that the flash memory was toast. He said the way the update happens can be pretty intrusive and that it caused the issue. He exchanged it for a reaplcement device and sent me on my way. Brought that home, registered it, and installed 2.0 with no issues. has been fine seince, except some of the reboot issues with apps that other posters are mentioning.

Moral of the story is that it sometimes takes more than holding x button and y button. Mine was actually toasted by the update. Probably rare, but it happens.

Sam