2.0 firmware on original iphone causing memory leak?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dacreativeguy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

I love the new goodies in 2.0, but I think that the rumored memory leak is getting really annoying. At first, I just had some occasional app crashes or apps that reset the iphone. But now I seem to have angered it, requiring me to turn my iphone off (red slider) and on to get things working properly again every day or so.

The latest symptoms are the "click" sounds (when I turn the iphone on or off) disappearing. I haven't experimented yet to see if other sounds, like alerts, are also being disabled. This started after I upgraded a few apps over the weekend. I'm not sure which may be the culprit, but I upgraded AIM, Facebook and Mobile News. I use those apps every day, and eventually the memory leak symptoms begin.

Anyone experiencing similar issues? I'm glad that 2.0.1 and 2.1 have been spotted in testing, so hopefully these issues will be resolved soon. It is just sad because 1.4 (or whatever the last one was) was so rock solid for me.

2. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

I know what u mean my iPhone with 2.0 is the same way everything crashes. I was on vacation so i could not get a 3G but i am going to get one tomorrow so hopefully my problems will be solved

3. FJR macrumors regular

the 3Gs have been as bad if not worse with regards to crashing.

4. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Upgraded my original iPhone to 2.0 software like July 13th. I installed a few apps and the crashing would not stop. It was ridiculous all the crashing and resetting.

Got the iPhone 3G and have only had crashing/resetting happen about 5 times in the 10 days that I have owned it. The 3G is much better than the original when it comes to 2.0 software.

5. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Conflicting?

6. dacreativeguy thread starter macrumors 68000

Let me make it clear that I had a perfectly functioning original iphone before installing the 2.0 firmware. And reseting or turning off the phone ALWAYS makes the situation better. I am 100% confident that I'm not having any hardware issues.

It is also my understanding that the core components of the 3G iphone besides the radio are carryover, so I find it hard to believe that there is a significant difference between the functionality of both models.

I've seen enough postings from both 3G and original owners to believe that the problems are software based and are affecting both models equally.

7. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

Actually i have heard the "processor" in the iPhone 3G is slightly faster

8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

i have heard otherwise...

?

9. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

Processor facts:

iPhone classic: 620MHz ARM CPU

iPhone 3G: 835MHz ARM CPU

iPhone 3G FCC Filing:
    https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/prod/oet/forms/blobs/retrieve.cgi?attachment_id=952863&native_or_pdf=pdf
    [Once you've downloaded the linked file, change the extension to .pdf - then open]

iPhone classic processor source:
    http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/iphone-processor-found-620mhz-arm/

The iPhone 3G runs on a significantly faster processor.

R-Fly

10. alFR macrumors 68020

Actually, the linked document is referring to the cell network frequency not the processor speed.

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have a 2G iPhone upgraded to 2.0, and so far I have not had any crashes. I've only installed 3 apps, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

12. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

it should not cuz safari crashes like 80% o the time

13. paduck macrumors 6502

My original iPhone, now with 2.0 firmware crashes constantly in Safari. And it is pretty slow now as well. I'm all ready for the 2.0Beta to be done with and move on to the full 2.1 version!

Prior to my upgrade, I had no problems.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I have not seen this with my iPhone. Sorry.

15. markgamber macrumors 6502

Likewise, I have a small handful of apps installed and I've had no problems to speak of with anything crashing. Safari has crashed a couple of times, mail has crashed a couple of times since the 11th, that's it. A friend, on the other hand, installs every piece of worthless trash that shows up on the app store and his 3G crashes constantly. Several times a day, at least.

16. Fonzijr1964 macrumors 68000

Fonzijr1964

well u should to be able to instal whatever u want