2.0 Ghz and 4GB or 2.4 GHZ and 2GB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by rmc4139, Nov 9, 2008.

1. rmc4139 macrumors newbie

I'm considering purchasing an aluminum macbook, but I'm a little torn about whether to purchase one with a 2.0 ghz processor and 4GB of ram or one with a 2.4ghz processor and 2GB of ram.
    I'm aware that RAM can be upgraded later, but with my luck I would shock it and ruin it. :p
    What I'm looking for is more bang for my buck. My computing needs are fairly basic, lots of internet usage, occasional word processing, watching DVDS, playing music, and perhaps playing an old Knights of the Old Republic game, although that's not really a priority.

2. rmc4139 thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, a backlit keyboard is really no priority. I memorize keyboard arrangements very easily, and the only dark situation I'd be computing in would be in bed.

3. dbdynsty25 macrumors regular

It's always a better idea to get more ram rather than more processing power.

4. Chase R macrumors 65816

Chase R

It all depends on what you wanna do with it. If I were you I would get the 2.4 and 2GB. You can always upgrade the ram later when you have more money. Plus you get a backlit keyboard!

5. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

It depends on how long you plan on keeping it, and what you plan to do with it right away. I agree with dbdynsty25's point that more RAM always benefits more than more processing power. However, you can always upgrade the RAM later for cheaper, as prices will fall. And you are stuck with the CPU your Macbook came with. Since you say your needs are pretty basic, you certainly don't need the 4GB (or the 2.4GHz for that matter) right now.

But if you are planning to keep the Macbook for a few years, a time will come when you need more processing power just to do the same tasks. If you buy the 2.4GHz now, it will go that much further towards future proofing your investment.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

get the 2.4 with 2 GB. If you find the RAM insufficient you can upgrade it later for $75 or so. And don't worry about ruining the macbook while doing it - it's a very easy upgrade.

7. rmc4139 thread starter macrumors newbie

I plan on getting another laptop in the summer or fall of 2010, if that helps.