2.0 Ghz Core Duo MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adamyoshida, Dec 5, 2007.

1. adamyoshida macrumors regular

Ok, here's the deal.

Basically, my field computer is a MacBook right now. I use it sporradically. I mostly use a big Dell 17" that I use as a Desktop replacement.

I've come across a deal, where I can get a 2.0 Ghz MacBook Pro for $1000. According to the person selling it, aside from a few scratches, it's in good condition. I can raise most of that $1000 by selling my MacBook.

Is there a real drawback to the Core Duo MacBook Pro? Anything that I should look for? Is this a good price?

My current MacBook is a Core 2 Duo, and I don't really do anything intensive, but I've been in love with the MacBook Pro since I first laid eyes on it...

2. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

why would you want to do this? your mb is a faster machine than that mbp. the only thing better about the mbp is its graphics card.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

I'd do it. The very negligible proc. speed difference I believe will be made up for with the dedicated graphics.
    Larger screen, sexier profile, and a good price where's the downside? I ordered a 17" Core Duo MB Pro right after they were announced. It's been trouble free ever since.
    I would take a look at it first though. Some people's definition of "a few scratches" varies quite a bit from mine! Also inquire how much RAM. I bought mine maxed with 2GB and it does everything well. Leopard, CS3, VMware Fusion, whatever.

4. je1ani macrumors 6502

my thoughts exactly

5. goodtimes5 macrumors 6502a

goodtimes5

Use your logic over your unbridled lust for electronics.

You have the better computer. Don't use money to get something you don't need.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

C2D machines have noticeable advantages over CD machines - do a google search and have a look at the benchmarks.

You might be interested in this Macintouch reader survey which included the type of MBP you're considering. One thing in particular, there was an issue with the logic board of those machines.

7. mankar4 macrumors 6502a

mankar4

The processor speed differences are more than negligible between the cd and the c2d. not only that, but your mb has more battery life and is smaller and lighter in weight as well.

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Wise words. I'd listen to this advice, OP.

9. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I'm gonna disagree with all these posters.

The MBP has:

dedicated graphics
    extra screen size/resolution
    backlit keyboard
    express card slot
    matte screen

the MB has:

smaller footprint (lighter by about .1 lb)
    c2d
    glossy screen

That's a no-brainer for the MBP for me.