2.0 ghz mini "fast enough"?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by klagreca, Mar 31, 2009.

1. klagreca macrumors newbie

klagreca

Hi folks,
    So I'm tossed between a 2.0 ghz mini with dual 24" LCDs for web design, or an 24" iMac plus a 24" LCD.

I plan on having the thing on 12 hours a day as its going to be running some server stuff, so the power consumption and size of the mini is a "plus" but the speed is a downer.

Sooo...the question is, for those out there that own a 2.0 mini, is it "fast enough?" Figure I'd be running Fireworks, various editors, browsers, playing itunes, and some other various background stuff at any given time.

Also, does a mini + 24" LCD equal the power consumption of a 24" imac? From my quick search, it looks to be about equal.

Thanks!
    Kris

2. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Have you considered getting the single 30 inch Apple display over two of the new 24 inch ones? I think it would be around the same price.

It wouldn't be as much real estate I guess, but it would be quite a bit more than a regular screen and you'd have the benefit of having it on one screen (less eye/head movements during multitasking).

As far as your Mac mini question, I am wondering the same thing. Using my MacBook 2.4Ghz / 4GB RAM / 128GB SSD is fine for all those things, it is plenty fast. The video card is just fine too. I think if you upgrade your Mac Mini it will be just fine as well.

3. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

^ 24" LCDs can be had for less than $400. Good luck finding a 30" ACD (or monitor period) for less than $800.

The Mini will be fine for what you want to run. The biggest downside is the RAM - the Mini will take 4GB, while you could upgrade the iMac to 8GB in the future. More RAM is what you want when running multiple applications.

The iMac isn't that much bigger than a 24" monitor, and you plan to have two of those anyway, so space shouldn't be much of an issue... if price is not a big concern, go with the iMac. If it is, the Mini will still do just fine.

I do everything you've mentioned on my Core Duo MacBook with 2GB of RAM... you'll be fine. :)

4. SecondDealer macrumors regular

There are 24" 1080p monitors with HDMI / HD TV inputs on Newegg.com for $360.00

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have Photoshop loaded all the time, iTunes is always on, along with Mail, my IM client, and my browser. Occasionally, I will watch a movie. It's on 24/7, is very quiet and quite capable. It only chokes on the more intense action scenes in movies (1080p of course). It also runs as a file server that gets about 250GB of in/out a day.

6. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Well I was assuming he meant two of the Apple 24" displays not regular off the shelf, which yes can be had for cheaper but since he is doing graphics work I don't think a cheapo panel would do.

I have a question about the iMac + ACD myself, mostly, how even are they? As in if you put a 24" ACD and a 24" iMac next to each other, will it look like like crap with one significantly elevated over the other or will they be roughly even?

It would probably be a better setup if it was even (less head movement too, almost like having just dual monitors).

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

You can't have two 24" LED ACDs... the 24" ACD is MDP only and the Mini only has ONE MDP port and ONE MDVI port.

8. klagreca thread starter macrumors newbie

klagreca

thanks for all the feedback!

Now that I look around, I think I'm going to hit the 2.8ghz (2008 edition) 24" imac, refurbed. You cannot go wrong at it's price of $1,200.

24" Mac LED display is out of the question. The price is ridiculous. I'm not doing anything color-critical anyways. I already have a Samsung 2443BWX which has "ok" color but the matte screen makes up for it. It might look odd next to an imac, but it will do.

Too bad the mini doesn't come in 2.4 / 2.66 configurations.

I'll keep you posted on the how the setup works out. Thanks again.

9. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Good choice! I've been eyeing the same machine. Need to wait until summer when I'm working and will know my financial situation better, though, so I'm hoping there's still some left over by the time I'm ready to buy. :)

10. klagreca thread starter macrumors newbie

klagreca

Just a quick update:

I bought a 2.66, 20" refurbed imac with a ATI 2600 Pro for $1000. Next to my 24" LCD, it's a perfect match. Both are the same height.

I'm totally happy I went this route vs. the mac Mini. Its performance is perfect for me. It runs hot, which scares me a bit since I have it on 14 hours a day.

Thanks again!
    K

11. statik13 macrumors regular

Congrads! Sounds like a perfect setup.

Heat shouldn't be too much a problem. I've probably had my iMac 24" turned off less than 24 hours in the past 6 months. Never had a problem.