2.0 GHz or 2.4 GHz for audio editing

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mr. Funk, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Mr. Funk macrumors newbie

Hi!

I don't know whether I should by the 2.0 or the 2.4 GHz macbook.

I'm a musician and want to record a lot of music and afterwards edit it with Logic (and some others). I will use plug-ins (also realtime). This seems interesting too http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna

Besides that it's just "normal" use, but I like movies and also in High Definition :D

Don't start me on FW. I know it lacks FW but I'll manage :) The world goes on... So don't start with that please. I beg you.

This notebook should last at least 4 years and I'd like to run the new OS' too!

2. logicsuggests macrumors member

I'd recommend getting a 7200rpm hdd as opposed to the stock one the macbooks have, it's probably cheaper just to buy one install it yourself then use the original hdd as little external backup drive.

2ghz should be fine, but it ultimately depends on how many channels of audio you use with effects on them. Most reverbs+ eq's are generally fine these days in terms of efficiency.

3. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

If you like HD movies, you're going to have to either get a 17" MBP or an external display of 24" or more. Neither the MacBooks nor the 15" MBP have high-def displays.

That point aside, 400 MHz in 4 years time isn't going to be a big difference. I reckon go for what you can afford now. Either will suit your needs just fine.

4. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Well, faster is always better,that being said 2ghz is still great for audio.
    If it were me, I'd get the 2ghz, but then very shortly bump the RAM to 4GB and toss in an aftermarket 7200rpm drive, as both of those would make a bigger difference, imo.

Previous to my Thinkpad I had a 2ghz C2D HP business notebook, and my track count and VSTi count didn't dramatically increase going to the TP.

Also realize that with both Logic Pro and Logic Express, when you're proc runs out of steam you can "freeze" the tracks, effectively rendering them temporarily while disabling the applicable plug-ins to free up power.

I've gotten a ton of extra tracks this way in Tracktion, I'm sure it's just as effective in Logic.