2.0 ghz vs 2.2 ghz 15" MBP for Graphic Design

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by burms888, Aug 16, 2011.

1. burms888 macrumors member

Sorry to everyone who has seen these threads in the past, but I have not seen this question answered for my purposes. I'm a graphic designer and use Adobe CS5 on a daily basis. Is there any reason for me to get the 2.2 ghz over the 2.0 ghz 15" MBP? I'm not a gamer at all and will only be using my laptop for design purposes and maybe to watch the occasional movie (I would most likely plug it into my HDTV for that) so I don't know if the 1GB vcard is necessary. I'm really just wondering more about the processor and whether or not I will see much difference in performance.

I know the whole "get what you can afford thing". I can afford both, I just don't want to put an extra $400 into something if there will be no real benefit to me. I'm also planning on getting the anti-glare screen and also upgrading to 8GB RAM through third party retailer. I may also eventually spring for the SSD and do the optibay for the preinstalled HDD, but that won't probably happen right away.

Thanks in advance.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Splurging on RAM and possibly an SSD would probably benefit you more. The 2.2ghz will outperform the 2.0 during rendering, but in day to day tasks, you'd be hard pressed to see a difference.

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

The answer is pretty much the same for everyone. a 10% improvement in processor speed (2.2 versus 2.0) will give you at most a 10% performance improvement. If you make money off of your computer and are time constrained, it would most certainly be worth the cost as you will eventually recover the expense. Otherwise, you won't really feel the difference.

4. fingerman macrumors member

Go for what you can afford so get the 2.2 :D

My 2GHz i7 8MB MPB performs great but I do push it when I've got a few VMs open and I like to play a few old 3D Windows Driving Games.

I never have a problem watching movies 1080p etc and via youtube HD - I've always had problems in the past with Windows machines - I kind of take it for granted now that my mac just does everything I ask from it

Personally I couldn't afford the 2.2 at the time so went with the 2Ghz, very happy with the machine but you always want more and that bigger graphics card sounds awesome :D

5. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

Get the 2.0 - save your cash for the upgrades you mentioned. The 2.0 will be plenty of power for what you do.

I was in the same situation and went back and forth between the 2 15" models for months. I run the full Final Cut suite and dabble in some photo editing using Lightroom3. I don't do any gaming or 3d modeling - so I went with the 2.0 with the hires antiglare screen.

This machine is more than enough for me. From the extensive research I did, unless you game, or do VERY graphic intensive work, then you'll never feel the difference between the two

6. burms888 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the input everyone. After going back and forth I decided to go with the 15" 2.0 with the anti-glare. I also will be upgrading my RAM to 8GB and ordered this today: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294

7. njsa04playa macrumors 6502

8. AppleGoat macrumors 6502a

Gonna be a killer graphic design rig, I envy you. Good luck.

9. Neobond, Aug 17, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2011

Neobond macrumors regular

That Ram won't work with your system, you need the PC3 10600, not the PC3 8500

From what I understand the 8500 will accept the 10600 but not the other way around, and the new Macbook Pro's use 10600.

EDIT: The 10600 ram is for the quad core i7 processor that you will be running

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

11. burms888 thread starter macrumors member

Are you sure about that? If you look at all the RAM on Newegg for Mac, they are all PC8500 for the most part.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

12. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Not sure if this is true for all Macs that use the PC3 8500 RAM, but my MBP would not accept PC3 10600 RAM. It made a beeping noise and the computer would not boot. Just FYI

13. nickcao macrumors member

think you picked up the wrong memory. you need 1333, not 1066

14. burms888 thread starter macrumors member

You might be right. I just chatted with an Apple tech and they said I would need DDR3 1333 (PC310600). Guess I have to return it.

15. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you use FileVault in Lion, from what I've read and looked into, the 2.0GHz MacBook Pro does not have AES-NI; that would make a performance difference in terms of encryption.

Otherwise, there is no real reason to pick the faster CPU unless you want the much faster GPU as well and you do care about getting work done faster.

16. burms888 thread starter macrumors member

17. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Check out crucial.com or otherworldcomputing.com. Both have good prices and RAM guaranteed to work.

18. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Those will work. And there isn't such thing as "Apple" RAM. Even though Apple sells 8GB of RAM on their site for $400, (Ridiculous) it's no different than any other RAM you could buy on the internet. Apple uses brands like Samsung and Hyinx for their RAM, there's nothing special about it. As long as the specs are compatible it will work

19. bisads macrumors newbie

Hi burms888, Just wondering how this MBP worked out for you. I'm in the same boat. Only I'm moving from PC to Mac.

~bisads

20. burms888 thread starter macrumors member

It's being shipped as I type this. I'll put a review in when I start using it.

21. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

friend go for the 2.2 version. I got the 17 inches 2.2 and its very nasty !

the 2.0 has a much slower graphics card, with lower speeds. its your call, but if i where you spend the extra bucks and sit @ home for a week and you got your money back :)

22. burms888 thread starter macrumors member

Are you a designer? What's the benefit of having the better graphics card?

23. MarocSpecops macrumors newbie

MarocSpecops

No i am not, though i am a history teacher wich just finished university :)

Remember your graphics card is not upgradeable so once u got the lower end GPU, and u may need graphical intensive programs than u might get in trouble :)

if u play chess ur good on a macbook air

24. bisads macrumors newbie

2.0 ghz vs 2.2 ghz 15" MBP for Graphic Desig

Hey burms888!

How is the new Mac working out for Graphic Design. I have been waiting to hear.

bisads :) :apple: