2.0 is purchase only even on a new iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by FreeState, Jul 15, 2008.

1. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I just got off a chat with Apple's store. My niece purchased an iPod Touch at Costco last week. I wanted to find out if she qualified for the 2.0 software since it was a new purchase within a day of 2.0 coming out. I was informed that the new iPod Touchs at the store come with 1.1.5 and everyone, even if you purchase it today in an Apple store, has to purchase 2.0... is this correct? This sounds whack to me... but the lady on the chat insisted 2.0 is not free for anyone and will not be part of new iPod Touch sales ever...

2. antony617 macrumors newbie

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=521172
    there is already another thread discussing this issue.:cool:

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

She's part right at least. Apple just pushed a 1.1.5 update to iTunes for anyone still running 1.1.4 or earlier.

The previous $20 january update created so much confusion for both retailers and new Touch buyers that I'm 99% sure Apple wants to avoid that again. It left iPod Touches in retail shops with and without that update, and selling for different prices, confusing buyers, sales clerks, etc., and causing thousands of angry calls to Apple, especially since anyone who bought a 1.1.2 Touch within a few weeks of the January update got the update for free (if they pushed Apple for it) yet anyone buying one a month or so later with 1.1.2 stll had to pay for the january update, as Apple assumed they had gotten a discount on the price of the Touch.

The only safe thing to do, although not necessarily the nicest, is to make the 2.0 update cost EVERYONE $9.95, no matter when their Touch was bought.

If you look hard enough though, you may be able to find via a google search the 2.0 Touch firmware for free to download. There was a slightly earlier release on the web that someone made available. I found it and updated two Touches for free. Works perfectly.