2.0 MacBook and iPod Touch or 2.4 MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MacsBestFriend, Nov 29, 2008.

1. MacsBestFriend macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

i was going to take advantage of the macmall cyber monday sale was i could use some help deciding the 2.0 macbook and the 16gb ipod touch or only the 2.4 macbook.:confused: thanks!:eek:

2. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Do you already have an iPod? Then lean towards the 2.4. If not having both sure is nice. Maybe even better is if you can wait, save up a couple more hundred and get the 2.4 and the iPod touch.

But honestly, I'd lean towards the 2.0 and the touch if I don't have an iPod.

3. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

That's good advice, and I'd go along with it. If you already have an iPod, get the 2.4; if not, go for the maore basic model, along with the iPod Touch. Best of all, (if you can afford it) get both the 2.4 and the iPod Touch.

Cheers and good luck

4. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

well i do have a 8gb fatty nano but the ipod touch is really popular at my school right now and the apps are pretty neat. great advice!

5. BayouBengal macrumors regular

Well don't get the touch just because it's "popular". But yes the apps are cool I 'll give you that. But in the end, the 2.0 and the touch give you the "best of both worlds." Maybe in a year or so save up a $100 or so and upgrade the ram to keep it up to speed. I personally got the 2.4 but that was just because I could.

6. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

The 2.4. The nano you have now is a great model. No need to duplicate that functionality when you could get a superior computer.

7. StvRndy macrumors member

I'm kinda having the same thought. I don't have an iPod touch and the MacBook.
    I'm planning to purchase them both. But now I'm not sure which MacBook I should get. The 2.4 is neat because of the backlit keyboard.
    How far is the difference between MB 2.0 and 2.4 in term of performance. I was checking the price of both processor and it turned out both of them have only $50 price difference. So the steep price of 2.4 model is just because of the backlit keyboard?

8. phoobo macrumors regular

2.0 is the sweet spot

That, and a larger hard drive (250 vs 160). But I think you are right that this difference is not worth $300. The processor difference would be negligible. Also, the 2.0 would get less warm, although overheating has not been reported as a problem with this line.

Still, the 2.0 is the sweet spot, economically speaking. The 2.4 is a little overpriced - relative to the base model, that is.

9. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I'd go for the first option w/ the iPod unless you are willing to sacrifice a small dip in processor speed (shouldn't make too much of a difference), hard drive, and ram (i think, too lazy to check). And the backlit keyboard. You can upgrade everything that is lesser than the 2.4GHz model except the processor.

10. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

Do you need the extra .4 GHz, extra 90GB Hard Drive space (remember, hard drives can be easily upgraded), and Backlit Keyboard? If that answer is no, then you would be better off with the 2.0 anyway. If you don't know how to type and would need the keyboard and would like the extra space/speed, then go for the 2.4 if it is worth the cost of an iPod to you.

11. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

the only thing i really need is the keyboard for school next year (i.e. note taking in class). if i can upgrade the keyboard i wont bother getting a 2.4;)

12. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

can you wait until next august/september? there has been promotions this year and past that you can buy a computer with a free iPod touch if you are a college student; and free $100 printer. or you can try the educational discount and use that money you saved for an iPod (remember, the nano is very popular as well as the touch) or iPod touch.

13. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

that would only make sense wouldn't it. And if you are just taking notes no need for the extra power. You can use the ipod touch for that even. I love my backlit keyboard though...its on right now, and though its not necessary feature its pretty awesome.

14. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

im going to buy from macmall with the cyber monday sale and i get a free all in one printer there also. after using the new nano, i don't like it nearly as much as the ipod touch.

15. MidgetMariachi macrumors newbie

Hey man,
    would you want two awesome presents under the tree? or just one slighty more awesome present under the tree?

I would definitely go with getting two nice products. You'll be happier in the end unless you REALLY need the slightly better specs of the 2.4

Let us know how it goes

Midget Mariachi [​IMG]

16. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

well, minus the fact that i don't celebrate christmas (hanukkah);), i see your point. its how my parents say, putting all your eggs in one basket :eek:. i think that will be nice. just now i went to macmall.com and found that for artrange deluxe, a 16 gig ipod touch, a belkin leather folio and a aluminum macbook the price was 1570 before and 1495 after the mail in rebates. i have 1440 of my own cash to spend so i will try to weasel the rebate and 60 bucks out of my dad:D. but he is totally against me getting another computer after i sold him my acer and my mom who is encouraging it won't lend me a dime... anyone wanna give me a loan, lol:rolleyes:

17. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

maybe turn to a nice friend(s) of yours? maybe borrow a some from different ppl... :D

18. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

good idea! maybe for interest i can give my 1st gan nano! would have never hit me and i know just the friend to ask! thanks!:)

19. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

If you get the 2.0 now, you may be able to learn to type even better, hopefully not needing the backlit keyboard by then :D

As said, Apple does offer the iPod Touch back to school promotion every summer.

20. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

thanks for all of the great replies! i got another week before iBuy: speak now of forever hold your peace :p

21. descartes macrumors 6502

which do you think you would use more, the touch or the backlit keyboard? as far as I see it, the keyboard is the only reason to step up to the more expensive mb.

22. descartes macrumors 6502

or sell the nano, get the 8gb touch and the more expensive mb.

23. MacsBestFriend thread starter macrumors 6502a

MacsBestFriend

the thing is i keep hearing the 8GB will be discontinued and i want a 16. i would sell the nano but it has much sentimental value and it is engraved. what can i get for a 2 GB first gen nano? i can sell that...

24. descartes macrumors 6502

not much. probably not even worth selling a 2gb 1g nano.

25. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

but he has a 3rd generation nano, so what's your point?

I still say 3rd gen nano + 2.4 MB > 3rd gen nano + ipod touch + 2.0 MB. Because otherwise the nano is really just going to go to waste.

However, if you could see the nano and use that money towards the new purchase, my answer might be different.