2.0 on mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by omar4578, Apr 3, 2011.

1. omar4578 macrumors regular

omar4578

ok so i odered a new macbook pro yesterday and the service representative was just awesome, really funny dude and gave discounts and what not,

anyways i got the mac book pro 15" with 8gig ram and 2.0GHz

i noticed that the PC i am on right now is 2.10 GHz now its not much of a difference but should i have gotten the 2.2GHz mac pro?

i got 8gigs of ram cause i am a big photoshop user and all adobe products, and i also dj for fun.

but here goes my question again , did i get the right mac? is there much of a difference?

EDIT: sorry for the "i just bought" new post i know it states not to do so on the sticky but i thought it was appropriate since i am asking about the GHz.

2. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Need more info.

You're considering bumping up from a 2.0GHz 15" MBP to a 2.2GHz 15" MBP?
    And what are the specs on your PC right now? Is it a dual-core or quad-core i7?

Also, word to the wise, buy your RAM from a 3rd party cause Apple charges an arm and a leg for it and most manufacturers have lifetime warranties on those modules.

3. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

sorry bro, i meant to say that i have a mac book pro comming in the mail as we speak.

i ordered it yesterday and i wanted to know if there is a major difference between the 2.0GHz or the 2.2GHz mbp?

its like 300 dollars more for .2GHz but does it offer more than just that?

also i already ordered the ram to be upgraded to 8gigs (too late for third party)

and the pc i have now is an HP dv6 with 4g ram and 350G HD and intel core 2 duo but it has more GHz than the mac i just bought...

4. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

It's not just about clock speeds, there are a lot of other technical reasons (which I can't explain, other sources on the net is better for looking up that information) why the CPU in your MacBook Pro is way faster than the Core 2 Duo CPU in your HP.

Also, I believe it was Anandtech that did not recommend buying the 2.2, the gain in performance is minimal.

5. six.four macrumors 6502

The Sandy Bridge quad core will run circles around your Core 2 Duo running at 2.1ghz.

As to the latter question of whether it's worth the $300? Depends on how much "work" you really do. You're also paying for the 200mhz speed bump AND the 6750 card (as well as the extra 250gb HD space). May be worth it if you think you're going to utilize that kind of power, but the fact that you're not sure, means you probably won't.

6. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Right now you're comparing apples to oranges, no pun intended. A quad-core i7 chip is a completely different chip compared to the Core 2 Duo. In addition to having very different architectures and improvements in power savings, the quad-core i7s are SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Core 2 duos in many respects, especially since the i7s support hyper threading to provide 8 virtual cores and TurboBoost which automatically overclocks the processor if you're running a program that requires a little more "umph". So in this case, the 2.0 could overclock to, say, 2.66 or 2.8.

Processor speed is only useful when you're comparing chips of the same architecture. Here you're talking about two very different ballparks. If you want to compare the benchmarks of the two 201115" MBPs (the 2.0 vs. 2.2GHZ), then check out the benchmarks.

7. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

well i am a moderate user of photoshop and love to edit videos and stuff and also i dj, but thats the most intense the laptop will ever get is doing those things...

so is the laptop i bought worth it?

8. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Absolutely. For your needs, the upgraded RAM is probably more of an issue than a processor boost.

What kind of HD did you order? 5400/7200RPM HDD or SSD?

9. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

i got 5400, i was on a tight budget since the barclays credit card only gave me 2000 credit line. so the only upgrade i did was the ram

EDIT: also how new are these macs? and what differences do they have from the previous versions? cause i dont want to do what i did with the iphone, i bought a 3gs and 2 months later the iphone 4 came out (facepalm) lol

10. movieboy23 macrumors regular

You should be absolutely fine for right now. Down the line you may wanna upgrade to a larger HDD or even an SSD and that's a relatively painless upgrade.

Enjoy your new machine.

11. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

is it bad?

lol all i wanted was a mac and did what ever possible to get one, 12 months no interest sounded good...

12. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

thanks bro, ive noticed that in your sig and other peoples they have two HD how is this possible?

13. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Out of every option you possibly had, Barclays is pretty much the worst.

14. movieboy23 macrumors regular

I removed the optical drive and put a 500GB HDD in an Optibay enclosure while making the SSD my primary drive. I really don't use physical media anymore and it's nice to have a separate HDD for my video projects while keeping my OS and applications on the SSD. Plus the HDD turns off after 10 minutes without use, at which point my machine is absolutely silent.

15. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

have you had bad experiences with barclays?

interesting, i already have an iOmega 500gb portable HD so i guess im fine, is there any benefits with what you did rather than an external drive?

16. Final Hour macrumors newbie

Omar-

I've had the 2.0 model for a few weeks now, I really couldn't be happier. The small per core gain you get with the 2.2's wouldn't really make a difference for your usage, unless of course you decide to export or transcode anything.

I generally play in iMovies' playground and haven't noticed the need to hit the computer in frustration with exporting, conversion and so on. I understand from your post that this is something you won't be doing too often - so just my 2c's. A word to the wise, Barclays is never a good idea!

Enjoy your new precious.

17. movieboy23 macrumors regular

Ya. Don't have to carry around a separate drive. Plus there are some power savings since the internal drive isn't always spinning while with a USB drive the drive is always spinning and drawing juice from the battery.

But in your case, since you DJ, I would assume the optical drive to be invaluable. Instead I just keep my formerly internal drive in an external enclosure and just leave it at home in the rare occasion that I need it.

18. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

thanks for your input, as far as speed and features do you like it? do you notice a huge difference if you went from pc to mac?

19. omar4578 thread starter macrumors regular

omar4578

i see, thanks for letting me know how to do this, i do see that ssd drives are getting cheaper so i might consider this in the future! :)

20. Final Hour macrumors newbie

In my humble opinion, features are the tipping point for me.

Less so, speed, memory and such. Let's be franc - any comparably specced Win PC can do almost everything a Mac can do. It's just the way it goes about doing it. I almost feel that there's a creative workflow associated with Mac i.e. Design of the software and implementation.

More direct to your question, speed on a quad core i7 is just silly fast (for me at least), I can only fathom the 2.2's to be bulls in a china shop. More than enough for my needs, as for Ram, I'm no help there as I rarely see any page outs and pinging to the hard drive. Your usage will certainly differ.

Just know the machine you ordered not only looks beautiful but performs equally beautifully.

Have fun, once you pass the learning curve, you will never go back to Gatesville.