2.0 or ZiPhone

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by n00by, Jul 8, 2008.

1. n00by macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Am confused, should I jailbreak my iPod Touch or should I get the 2.0 update. I do not have the January update on my iPod Touch. I don't mind spending the ten dollars. but I do not think I will spend money buying apps from the store.

What would be the difference between a jail broken iPod Touch and one with 2.0?

Also, I guess we can install apps by browsing to a URL on Safari on the iPod Touch. Is there any other way to download and install apps, since I do not have a wireless internet connection.

Apologies if the questions have already been answered.

Thanks
    :)

2. sgtboy macrumors 6502

Go ahead and buy the 2.0 update this friday(?) i would recommend. You install the apps either via syncing and buying on itunes or buying and DL'ing straight from APP store on touch 2.0

3. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

get 2.0, jailbreaking can be a pain if you dont do stuff correctly...
    i dont wanna get into all the details, but i strongly think you should get 2.0 and NOT jailbreak

4. Shot22 macrumors regular

In my opinion, you should buy the 2.0 update and not jailbreak. Although jailbreaking does allow for customization, it is also somewhat complicated and error-prone. By having the App Store, you'll have access to presumably hundreds of free applications that are stable (in addition, there will be some other applications that have a small charge).

5. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

I'm gonna agree with all of the other posters...go with 2.0

6. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i would go with 2.0. jailbreaking is not as great as everyone says it is, i've had it. there are only a few good apps. it's good but not great. but from what i've seen about 2.0 it looks way better than jailbreaking.

7. avigalante macrumors 6502

avigalante

2.0. Period.

In all my instances of jailbreaking, I've had nothing other than battery woes and constant crashes (although, the crashing tidbit has improved; as in less crashes throughout the day).

For $10, not only do you get Apple's technical support (all without breaking any terms of service), you also get access to a plethora of third-party applications - many that will be free. Given the list of features and support options, I don't think you can go wrong for $10; it's a very wise bet.

8. n00by thread starter macrumors newbie

Wow!.. That was quick and clear ...
    Will go for the 2.0.

Thanks a ton for your help

9. dirtbikemike macrumors newbie

i would go with jailbreaking in my experience its been awsome no probs whatsoever:D

10. icecold0913 macrumors member

the whole purpose of jailbraking was to enable third-party apps. with 2.0 what's the point?

jailbraking is lame!

11. txhockey9404 macrumors 6502a

I have had a few problems with jailbreaking. After I had jailbroken, even the apps that come with the iPod Touch are buggier than before (don't really understand that), and there are some graphical errors which really annoy me. After a few days of playing around with it, I go right back to the stock firmware. I just do not find it worthwhile to trade stability for 5-6 good apps and another 10 or so fair ones. I say wait. What have you got to lose...just $10 and 2.5 days. If you really don't want to buy any apps, I'm sure 2.0 will be jailbroken in a few weeks max, and then you can go and download all the free homebrew apps you like.

12. GMacDaddyTPO macrumors newbie

Or you could try jailbreaking and see what you think. If you decide in the next few days that it's not for you, then get the 2.0.

13. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

jailbreak

to those that say youve had problems with it, i am amused. i have had nothing but success and see it really easy to do on mine. ive done multiple ways of jailbreaking too to try them all out

no errors either

14. TheManWhoHelps macrumors newbie

Get the 2.0 update

You should definitely get the 2.0 update because ziphone is not reliable at all it didnt work for me an it caused me alot of trouble i am going to get the 2.0 update also!

15. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

jailbreaking is easy but to be honest with you i think i installed like 3 or 4 apps, its not as great as alot of people make it out to be. at least not in my opinion.

16. mekopolis macrumors regular

I know right...I feel like i just was told Santa Clauss isn't real...and niether is the Easter bunny

17. I'mAMac macrumors 6502a

I'mAMac

Is it possible to do both?
    btw, im using a jailbroken now and its great. No problems whatsoever.