2.0 quadcore or a 2.3 dual core?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jegaggin, Jun 7, 2011.

1. jegaggin macrumors newbie

I'm buying a computer for my new school (ive been using the crappy 2006 macbook white with a intel GMA 950 chip -.-). I saw the 2 options (unless i want to get a macbook air :) ).
    Macbook pro 13"
    Intel Dual-core 2.3 Ghz i5 / 4 gb/ 320 gb hdd/ intel hd graphics 3000/
    vs
    Macbook pro 15" Intel quad-core 2.0 ghz i7/ 4gb/ 500 g/ AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256mb GDDR5.

The 2 things I'm wondering is firstly, Intel quad-core 2.0 ghz i7 vs Intel Dual-core 2.3 Ghz i5 for gaming and using imovie and photoshops etc. intel hd graphics 3000 vs AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256mb GDDR5 which one is better for AMD Radeon HD 6490M with 256mb GDDR5?
    Please help me I'm curious which one is better and its still alot of money so I want to get the best thanks in advance.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The 15" is better for pretty much everything.

3. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

I'm struggling to tell if this question is a joke... Literally every spec is upgraded on the 15"(besides ram). You want two cores in a processor instead of four to do processor intensive tasks (i.e. gaming and photoshop)? The extra screen real estate on the 15 will also help with photoshop. You want a smaller hard drive that probably has a slower speed(you didn't include whether the 320 or 500GB is 5400 or 7200)? You want an integrated graphics chipset instead of a dedicated video card? To make a long story short, if you have the option between the first and second machine, you should obviously get the second machine.

4. jegaggin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

And sorry for whoever thought it was a joke. But some of us arent as tech savy as you -.-. And thanks for those who actually gave a polite reply it was very helpful :). Even the guy who wasnt so polite, thanks for the reply you gave me a lot to think about.

5. tamvly macrumors 6502a

tamvly

Quad is the clear winner .. unless either weight or $$$ are a big consideration.

If you go with the 15, carefully consider glossy vs. anti-glare. This takes on almost a religious fervor for some, but to many it's just as important as size.

6. rebby macrumors 6502

Well put. QC for me, nice improvement over a DC system.

7. revelated macrumors 6502a

revelated

Dual core: two people washing a car.
    Quad core: Four people washing a car.

The difference is not whether it will get done, but how fast. Four people working efficiently will always get the job done significantly faster than two. Of course, it all depends on coordination and distribution of work, which is why some are saying that the programs you plan to run really make the difference.

Some cars (Prius) only really need two people doing the wash, because it would not be any faster than four. Other cars (Escalade) would certainly benefit from more hands.

If you're running Mail, Safari, iTunes, and maybe some videos, you really won't notice much difference between the dual and quad core, quite frankly.

If you're pushing Photoshop, Final Cut, Premiere, Logic, or other 'heavy' apps, then you will see an improvement having the quad over the dual.