2.0 Software on Original iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BullittMustang, Jun 13, 2008.

1. BullittMustang macrumors 6502a

Will the 2.0 software update for the first iPhone be available the same day the new iPhone is released? Or will it be available for download sooner?

2. rolex54 macrumors 6502

it has not been said yet
    but the latest date would obviously be July 11th

3. paduck macrumors 6502

It could be available sooner. There were some reports of a late June delivery. Certainly it can't be available later though....

The only features I think you will be missing on the original iPhone are:

- 3G
    - Full GPS (bummer)
    - Longer battery

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Possibly, but then again it may show up sooner.^^^I would have liked to see something in line with the WWDC Keynote, like the one (113) we had during the MWSF '08. :cool:

5. MM07 macrumors 6502a

And more money a month to AT&T.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I would be shocked if 2.0 hit by the end of the month. Apple has been missing quite a few deadlines recently so I think the release was pushed back because either the firmware, the iTunes update, the apstore or the new phone itself just wasn't ready to go.

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

You would think they would start getting wise and just say a later date, and if they have it done earlier, everyone is happy, and if its not ready then, no one is dissapointed, cuz their just looking for that later date.

8. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

It lean towards sooner than later. They DO have to preload it on all those 3G phones. I wonder if it's final yet?

9. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

There was a new beta build seeded just this Tuesday.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Damn guys.. Sorry for the ignorance, but what does 2.0 buy us (On the first iPhone)?? Link or info????

I've been thinking that 2.0 was just for the 3G.

W

11. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

:confused: :eek:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

12. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Yeah, don't forget about that part!

13. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Oh. So it IS for only the 3G. Thats all I needed to know.

14. genshi macrumors 6502a

genshi

No, do your research is what I was getting at. That link I gave previously was found at the bottom of this page http://www.apple.com/iphone/; the link stating "Current iPhone Owners Learn about the 2.0 Software Update."

More importantly, if you were to pay attention to ANY of the news and information on this forum over the past few months (since March at least) you would have already had your answer on what the 2.0 software was all about and that it was for both the original iPhone as well as the upcoming 3G version.

Or, you could have simply watched Steve Jobs' most recent keynote that explains it all http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0806wdt546x/event/index.html as well as the previous one in March that also explained what 2.0 will do for the current iPhone (before any mention of the 3G iPhone.)

Sorry if I didn't make it very clear before.

15. 7on macrumors 601

7on

No, it's for the Mark 1 phone too. Don't forget 2.0 was shown in March on Mark 1 phones.

16. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

Thanks. People like you is why I come here. :)

17. infowarfare macrumors 6502

wow, the amount of hand holding that has to be done on this forum is just astounding! how about this, don't be so ignorant! just saying, since you mentioned it first...

18. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

Though I do not think Apple would release 2.0 software before July 11, I m pretty sure they will have it ready before the end of the month. How the hell else would they load the 2.0 software on the new 3G iPhone for launch if its not even ready a couple of weeks before launch???

19. chimpboy74 macrumors 6502a

chimpboy74

I can understand the confusion. If you look at link below( which you can access from http://www.apple.com/iphone/) and clicking the link for "current iphone owners. Learn about the 2.0 update":

http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/

It refers to the 2.0 update but if you actually read the text it talks about GPS and refers to the 'iphone 3G'.

20. razorianfly macrumors 65816

razorianfly

You would think ... but remember, Apple are a hype-building machine. They do it everywhere, and they do it cleverly. The software may be ready-to-go but just before the App Store debuts, they want to build even more hype about the whole 2.0 update. The more hype that surrounds the App Store, the more sales of applications day one returns for them.

I think software 2.0 is ready to go, as with iTunes 7.7 and the iPhone 3G, I think they're stalling to ultimately build hype. I highly doubt the rumors of a late June release, I think software v2.0 will debut on July 11th at 7PM (PDT) .... enough time for people to have bought iPhone 3G - and last minute, as Apple always planned it.

R-Fly

21. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Wouldn't surprise me to see iPhone 2.0 before the new hardware launch. Then when we all plug in our new iPhones we'll get a window saying iPhone software 2.0.1 is available which includes "bug fixes."

22. buckeye17 macrumors member

I'm glad to read that the original iPhone will be able to use 2.0 firmware. My university uses 802.1x so I can't use the campus wifi anywhere.

23. DreamPod macrumors 65816

iPhone OS 2.0 is shipping "Early July" according to the WWDC Keynote Speech. Considering the iPhone 3G is shipping July 11, I'd say that's the best bet for OS 2.0, as that's pretty much the end of "Early July", and just makes sense.

24. Merlosso macrumors 6502

Merlosso

That is not necessarily true. If the OS is not final yet and there's less than four weeks until a 22 country launch, it is very possible that they are being loaded with an earlier version. The phones could be updated with the final version during activation or at home through iTunes later. The last couple of iPods I had needed a software update right out of the box.