2.0 update and the January update

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by rma2110, Jun 25, 2008.

1. rma2110 macrumors newbie

I'm sure most of you remember the previous iPod touch update that added a few apps, such as Mail, Notes, Maps. Any one out there not buy that update, but looking to buy the new one?

Will users like me be able to add stuff like Mail? My brother gave me a .mac account so I would like to be able to receive mail on my iPod if need be.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

iPhone/iPod touch 2.0 requires the January Software Update. It's in the system requirements.

3. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I have read up on 2.0 and nowere does it say the jan update is a requirement, they will either include the jan update in 2.0 or still have it as an optional purchase

4. darkmeton macrumors member

really?? so we need to pay 20$ +10$ if we don't have the january update?? that sucks..
    But, what if I have a jailbroken 1.1.4 touch with the january update. Then can we go directly to 2.0 ? Or do I have to restore first to a clear touch without the january update..??
    I read somewhere that itunes can tell if you have the january update (jailbroken or not, doesn't matter) and it will allow you to go to 2.0.. anyone can confirm this?

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

Have the system requirements for firmware 2.0 been published for the general public yet? Or are you referring to some unpublished system requirements that might have been released to beta testers?

Since the January software update doesn't appear to be available for sale via iTunes at the moment, I suspect the distribution model for the JSU might be changing once the 2.0 upgrade becomes available... Maybe it'll be available for sale (in whole, or broken down into parts) via the App Store?

Or maybe they assume (perhaps correctly) that any early adopters who bought the iPod Touch before January, and who hadn't upgraded to the JSU by this time are never going to do so, and are also unlikely to upgrade to firmware 2.0 either, so they're just going to drop upgrade support for those units?

6. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

I highly doubt they would drop support for us early adopters since theres no newer model of the ipod, it would just be a bad move for them to drop support for early adopters, sinde the jan update has been removed it could well be that the jan update will now be part of the 2.0 firmware........... all just a case of wait and see really no1 can say whats gonna happen as no1 knows really knows what apple are going to be doing.

7. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

I have still yet to figure out why apple didn't just wait until 2.0 to charge the $20 for both, I have a jailbroken iPod with the iPhone apps so I didn't need to buy them but I will pay $9.99 for the 2.0 upgrade.

8. sloochi macrumors newbie

I called Apple about this yesterday. I did not purchase the January Software Update. Paying the $10 for the 2.0 will also include the Apps originally included in the JSU (Mail, Notepad, Weather, etc...). Meaning, you do NOT have to pay the original $20 price tag. Patience actually is a virtue i suppose...

9. rma2110 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Sloochi :)

Doesn't seem to be very fair for those that didn't buy the January Update, does it? Still, it's about time early adopters caught a break. I would have thought that Apple would just sell the apps that came with the January Update separately for those that want them.

The only app that interested me was mail, and that was a maybe. Weather, Maps, and Notes I could easily do without.

10. Spock macrumors 68000

Spock

The only 2 apps I use are mail and notes, I never needed maps or weather as I use my blackberry for those and mail when I don't have wi fi

11. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

Good news, because Apple doesn't have the January upgrade on iTunes anymore. So all I'll have to spend is $9.95 :).

12. PMB macrumors 65816

PMB

EARLY adopters are not getting a break, we had to pay $20 for the JSU, and now $10, for a total of $30, that dosent seam like a break for me.
    if you bought after the Macworld '08 you are NOT an early adopter (imho)

i think the other way around makes sense, not fair for those who purchased the JSU, and not fair for early adopters.

EDIT: i see a string of logic now, early adopters who did not buy the JSU get a break, i get it now...

13. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Gotta say I don't agree with this. Seems a bit off that those of us who were honest enough to buy the JSU are being penalised.

I do however understand why it has to be this way!

You can't force people to buy something that the don't want just to give them permission to be able to buy something that they do want!

14. Nickelz92 macrumors member

YES! This is awesome news for me, as I did not purchase the JSU for the unreasonable $20. I didn't jailbreak either, I just got by without them.

As for those who feel like they're getting "screwed", you kind of are. However, the reason I didn't buy the January Software Upgrade was because I really didn't think that it was worth it to pay $20 for only two useful apps (for me anyway), which would be Maps and Mail. But now that it's going to included, that's sick. I do feel a bit of sympathy for those who bought the JSU, because they're getting screwed out of $20. I honestly would've been fine if they sold the apps as seperate, it'd only cost me around $10 more anyway.

But I'll keep it! :p