2.0 upgrade to 2.0.2 (without going through 2.0.1) NOT having 3G issues?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by austincreek, Aug 30, 2008.

1. austincreek macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an interesting experience. My wife and I both own iphone. I had my firmware upgraded from 2.0 to 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, and now is having almost no 3G data connectivity (even though bars are between 3-5).

My wife's phone is upgraded from 2.0 straight to 2.0.2. Here are two really interesting things:
    1. No 3G issues. Works like a champ every single time, even when side-by-side with my phone
    2. Screen remains "yellow" ish - the settings from 2.0 seems to remain.

So, does 3G issue more caused by 2.0.1 somewhere?

Also, how do I, if I really want to try, downgrade to 2.0 to then upgrade straight to 2.0.2?

Thanks a bundle everyone!!!

2. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

You can make yours to be as good

I would not be able to downgrade, but you could do even better:
    Backup your phone in iTunes.
    Switch it to DFU mode
    With iTunes, reload 2.0.2 FW
    Once finished, restore your phone settings from backup.
    Sync.
    It should be as good as the other one, if not better.

This is what I did and have no issue since.

3. austincreek thread starter macrumors newbie

AnalyzeThis,

Sorry, rookie here. What is DFU and how to switch it to DFU?

Thanks.

4. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

If you poke around the forum a bit, you will see people attempting to rationalize/pinpoint/dissect 3G, and iPhone issues in general, using all manner of theories, settings, upgrade/downgrade/restore methodology, etc. The more you poke around, the more it becomes apparent that there is simply no rhyme or reason to the madness.

I have experienced, as have others, 2 phones side by side getting completely different connection speeds. I had a phone that would not connect at anything much above 400kbps. I replaced it, and when the phone grabs a good signal (which is an entirely different conundrum), the replacement phone's speeds are very good.

My advice to you would be instead of spending 2-3 hours trying to downgrade and re-upgrade (which I don't even think is possible due to the baseband changes in 2.0.2) spend that time at an Apple store trying to get a replacement phone. Bring your wife's phone for comparison. Tell them you've already tried restoring (which is what they'll suggest as protocol, but for connectivity issues doesn't seem to help many people).

5. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

Dfu

Step 1. Turn off your iPhone.

Step 2. Hold down the power and home button.

Step 3. When you see the Apple logo, release the power button but continue holding the home button down.

Step 4. Open iTunes and wait for it to tell you that its in restore mode.

If you had less issues prior to 2.0.2 upgrade, then restore could help.

If you had issues before, especially dropped calls, try to exchange it to a new one if you can. White box may be a real refurbished by now.

6. austincreek thread starter macrumors newbie

Has anyone have success with exchanging phone due to 3G connectivity issue? I am under the impression that the answer is no.

7. AnalyzeThis macrumors 6502

It depends

I was within return period, so Apple folks could not argue much. I replaced mine based on dropped call issue.

They could easily weasel the way out of exchange based on 3G connectivity by giving you hope for a future update or temporary 3G network issues. They would advise to temporary disable 3G as well and of cource to restore it (as it is "101" in iPhone troubleshooting).

Dropped calls are hard to argue though. They can check it with diagnostic tool @ the genius bar.

Restore does not really takes 2-3 hours, about 20-30 mins at most.