2.0 v. 2.4 - noticable performance increase?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by matteconcepts3d, Dec 7, 2008.

1. matteconcepts3d macrumors newbie

hey all -

i'm thinking of getting a macbook - mostly for it's portability/size; and i'd like to be able to run photoshop on it smoothly... I primarily use my mac pro for heavy duty graphics work, so i don't need my macbook to be a powerhouse -

so, i guess my question is, is it worth it to pay the extra $$ for the 2.4 ghz machine, or will the 2.0 ghz macbook do just fine?

thanks,

matt

2. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

For PhotoShop, processor speed isn't what you want the most of, RAM is. So if you want to save some money, go for the 2.0 and get the 4GB of ram :)

3. matteconcepts3d thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

thanks, DeusInvictus7 --

worried about the screen quality after reading some posts here... thoughts, anyone?

matt

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

I'd get the 2.4. Bigger drive, faster and illuminated keyboard are worth it.
    MB screens are fine.

5. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

This is an easy one, don't listen to anyone else but yourself, go and actually look at the models at the Apple store if you have one close by, or a Best Buy or something, and see for yourself. Everyone here will have lots of different opinions.

I for one, absolutely love my Aluminum MacBook, the screen is gorgeous compared to my 22in Gateway monitor with the matte finish that I got for free. I personally prefer the glossy. No glare issues what so ever. As far as viewing angles go, as long as you aren't looking up at the screen, or straight down at it, you should be fine...I honestly don't think anyone with a 13in laptop is going to be showing a bunch of people around them a picture from all sorts of angles. Straight on is beautiful.

EDIT: Going along with what skye12 said, that is the reason I got the 2.4, the bigger stock drive and the illuminated keyboard, and because of the fact that I could, and my dad was willing to pay half of whatever computer I chose as a graduation present. Good deal if you ask me. :D

6. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Yeah, if I was in your position (having half of it paid for), I'd go for the 2.4 too.

But for the OP, I say go for the 2.0. Since this is a bit of a 'secondary' laptop, the extra cash just won't be worth the difference, IMO.

Things that take 0.01% longer to do (CPU)
    Space you may not use (HDD)
    possibly unnecessary function (keyboard)

Worth the extra $$$ to you?

7. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

If you don't need the Macbook to be a powerhouse, the 2.0ghz will be fine. I haven't run into anything where the processor was the bottleneck. I'd like to get more memory, but as I've stated (and many others have stated), these machines seem to be super picky about memory modules so I'll wait till things get sorted out.

I keep seeing things like 500gb drives for cheap too, but I haven't used more than 40gb of my 160gb drive. Everything's on networked drives at my place, so I don't really need the room in the laptop either. And hdds will only get cheaper...

8. Jisuo macrumors 6502

When they tested gaming performance the 2.4 got 1 FPS more then the 2.0.

1 FPS...

The CPU isn't the bottleneck here... Get the 2.0 with 4GB ram instead.

9. alvse macrumors regular

alvse

I got the 2.0... I was thinking of getting the 2.4 but the extra 0.4 to me wasn't really worth it...

I put in a 500GB hard drive into the 2.0 pretty much as soon as I got home. Wish I had more RAM though... lol

as for the keyboard (the backlit one), one would think that that would eat up more battery power yes? and if you turn it off, you might as well had not bought it for the back lit keys.... lol

10. darshan macrumors member

everyone will boast about the fact that it has BIGGER HARD DRIVE (90GB) n faster CPU (.4 ghz) and illuminated keys (2 LED lights)

now u decide whether all of that extra is worth 300$ more

you will not notice the difference between the two machine...

go ahead and try them out at the apple store

ask some1 else (perhaps ur dad) to tell if there's a difference between them (without revealing the specs tag)

doubt he'll be able to tell (n even if he can it'd be bare minimum difference

in ur shoes, i'd pick 2.0 Ghz with upgraded ram (n 160 gb is pleanty (trust me on that) (n this comes frm a guy (me) who downloads n stores alot of things on his internal HDD)

11. matteconcepts3d thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

guys -

thanks so much for taking the time and posting your thoughts -

i appreciate it - i'll definitely go into a store and check things out; and make a decision on that -

thanks again,

matt

12. darshan macrumors member

13. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

These responses made me laugh.

So you guys think that for video editing the 2.0 would be OK, too? And how is it with streaming videos?

14. darshan macrumors member

not a whole lot differnt from 2.4 i'd imagine

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

apple ram buyback

Anytime within the 1st two weeks of buying a macbook from an applestore, you can use the apple ram buyback program. The store buys back your machine, installs 4 gigs of ram for $150, and resells your machine back to you.

You have to ask for this specifically, and it sometimes takes an hour to three depending on how busy the store is.

Yeah, it's cheaper to buy it online and keep your original sticks, but compared to how apple used to charge for ram, it's a bargain.

16. agurlnamedgoo macrumors member

I don't quite understand how you'd save any money here as opposed to ordering the computer with 4gigs in the first place.

17. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

*shrug* 4GB of DDR3 memory is under $100 now (although still sketchy as to if it will work). Although if it does, you could theoretically sell the 2GB for a price on eBay or something.

Better than $150 from Apple and you don't get to keep the 2GB.