2.0 vs. 2.16, and Ipod Format

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by superman4388, Aug 4, 2007.

1. superman4388 macrumors member

Definatly interested in purchasing a new macbook, i finally decided to stop holding out on leapord and santa rosa.. i was wondering if the 2.16 processor provides a noticable difference over the 2.0, and if so, is it work $200?...

Also i have a Ipod Video 60GB that i purchased for my current PC, how much of an issue is it to convert it over so it is Mac compatible? I am aware of the free ipod available for students but would still like to use my current Ipod..

any insights are greatly appreciated, Thanks

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

you're not going to notice a difference with the 0.16 ghz difference, not unless you're an android with built-in chronometers. :rolleyes: the real difference is that the 2.16 ghz model has a superdrive. is dvd burning important to you? if it is and you require it to be built-in (remember, you can always attach external drives), then perhaps the extra $200 would be worth the higher model.

about your ipod issue, i believe the macbook will be able to read a windows-formatted ipod. somebody correct me if i'm wrong.

3. Joshua8o8 macrumors 6502

my macbook reads my windows formatted ipod. I have a 30 gig. video. i have been able to take songs from my ipod to itunes with no problem. I used ipod copy by wide angle software, it was simple and i didnt have any problems.

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

like others have said, the main difference is the superdrive in the 2.16 model, i would recommend it.

your macbook will read the windows ipod. you could change it to mac format if you want, but then your pc wouldn't read it (if you care). it's pretty easy to do

5. superman4388 thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the heads up on the superdrive, i definatly did not catch that difference.. i will probably be getting MS office for the Macbook, do you recommend waiting till 2008 comes out or will 2006 work fine? how does iWorks compare? thanks again

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well it's really up to you. the MS office now will work fine on your machine, but 2008 will clearly be better. it won't be out until January, so if you can wait, wait. but if you can't, then get the current version.

iWork is pretty good, but right now really MS office is better. you could try OpenOffice or NeoOffice for free if you wanted