2.0 vs. 2.4 - Does it really matter?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dylanthomas, Nov 5, 2008.

1. dylanthomas macrumors newbie

I'm currently a PC user but I love graphic design and have been wanting to switch to OS X since Leopard but haven't made the switch. After the recent update to the regular Macbooks I really want to switch since they're now brand new and have a pretty good grahics card. I was originally just going to save up for the $1300 version but now I am considering putting out an extra $300 for the better one but I don't know if it's worth it.

So basically.. Is there really a big difference between the 2.0ghz cpu and the 2.4ghz?

I don't really care about the extra 90GB because I'm going to get an external hard drive anyway but I don't know if the cpu speed is really worth $300. I am going to replace my PC because it is pretty hold and would like to play a few games, but mainly just WoW, but not really too many.

Thanks.

2. SimonJ macrumors regular

I realize that this is not the answer to your question but you should also consider that the 2.4 model comes with a backlit keyboard.

3. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

ditto on the keyboard

I originally bought a 2.0 and returned it for the screen (after buying a 7200 hard drive) and maxing the ram out. Paid the difference and got the 2.4, and returned the HD.

There is a bit of a speed difference between the two processors, almost enough to offset the difference between the two drives. In other words, if you got a 2.0 and later put in a faster, larger hard drive, you probably wouldn't tell much of a difference between the two models performance wise.

That being said, the backlit keyboard, which I poo-poo'ed on these forums when I had the 2.0, is incredibly cool.

4. radionickhead macrumors regular

I also used to be a PC user..this is my first mac, and I was also considering the 2.4 over the 2.0 - but I decided the price difference for .4Ghz more and the extra hard disk wasn't worth it..
    I was initially worried about the ram but I'm still on 2GB and I'm extremely happy with it.
    So coming from a 2.0 GHz / 2GB RAM user - thumbs up.

5. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

if you are going to play games the .4 will make a difference

6. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

Speedwise there is not much a difference that you will notice. Basically if the backlit keyboard is worth 300 bucks for you, then by all means get the 2.4.

7. HoldFastHope macrumors 6502

I disagree. If there is, it certainly wouldn't be dramatic. 4gb of RAM would have more of a measurable effect IMO.

Bigger HD is a null point, you can pick up a 320gb + hard drive for pretty cheap nowadays and replace it yourself, takes about ten minutes.

8. zorahk macrumors 6502

If you are going to play games you aren't buying something with an integrated card with 256mb shared ram anyway

FYI

9. scottintosh macrumors member

I had the 2.4 MB but returned it because I was not satisfied with the screen. After the manager gave me a REALLY hard time, i convinced him to not charge me the restocking fee and I upgraded to the 2.4ghz MBP.. I think it is WAY better than the macbook..

My advice, if you are willing to pay 300 more for the 2.4MB, then 300 more than that is what the MBP costs. The difference between the two is amazing.

Also its not just .4 ghz.. it is .8ghz because it is 400mhz for EACH core.

10. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

Let's start with the differences. The main differences between the entry and high end model are...
    1) Faster CPU
    2) More Hard Drive
    3) Backlit Keyboard
    that's it. Looking at it, I don't feel that it's worth the upgrade in terms of pricing. The CPU, hard drive and backlit keyboard cannot add another $300! If it was $1499, that would have been a better choice and I would have gotten it.
    Now, let's talk about your needs. You want to play WoW. I have read some posts about some gaming on the 2.0GHz model and they played games well. Need For Speed needs more power and it runs well on the 2.0GHz. I ran WoW on my 2.0GHz once and I thought it was running very smoothly. The hard drive probably won't be a problem for you, because you are getting an external like you said. The backlit keyboard really just makes the computer look nicer and probably a good touch for less experienced typers. Normally I don't type or use the computer in the dark, because it's just not good for my eyes to stare at a bright screen in the dark while my surroundings are just plain black.
    Anyways, I hope this helps your decision.