2.0 vs. 2.4GHz 20" iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by montycat, Sep 22, 2007.

1. montycat macrumors 6502

montycat

Is there much difference between these two? I will be buying an iMac soon and I need to know if the base model will fit my needs. I do absolutely zero gaming. I will mainly be using the computer for general web browsing, iWork, iPhoto, iTunes and iMovie. I'm going to upgrade to a 320 gigabyte HD. Thanks, MC

2. vendettabass macrumors 6502a

vendettabass

I'll be doing pretty much what you're doing on my iMac 2.0ghz when I get mine in October... I think the 2.0 will be great..

although the 2.4 does also get you that better GPU, but again, if you're not gaming, I think the 2.0 will be fine

3. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat

Thanks for your reply. I too am waiting until October. I'm looking foward to getting my new iMac!

4. seany916 macrumors 6502

For what you listed, get the 2.0 and factor in the difference from the 2.4 (that you would have spent) and put that in a CD (bank type) rolling at 5% or so until you decide you want another computer. Don't buy accessories you won't use more than 3 or 4 times. So many people buy crap.

Sorry (ramling)...

2.0 will be great!

5. smythey macrumors regular

My new 2.0Ghz runs beautifully using the main OSX apps plus a few others such as EyeTV , Google Earth and Neooffice.

Ive just ordered another stick of RAM, but not sure it'll make much difference, but hey, only £25!

6. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

I've got a 2.0 GHz iMac. I use it mainly for email, surfing, writing, photo and music management. I've played around with some minor video editing on it in iMovie and it's fast. I don't game so I didn't bother with the 2.4 GHz.

I did, however, throw in another gig of ram which made a world of difference.

7. montycat thread starter macrumors 6502

montycat