2.0 vs. 2.4GHz?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sansa11, Dec 26, 2008.

1. sansa11 macrumors member

I am a student so I work a lot with word processing and other programs such as Photoshop. But I also do a lot of the usual internet and e-mail. I do work with video and music editing but not much.

I wanted to know if there is a noticeable difference between the 2.0 and 2,4 GHz aluminum Macbooks. I am currently on a 2.4GHz iMac so but I wanted something portable as well. Also in this debate is the 2.4 GHz Blackbook, but I find it will soon be outdated.

What do you think?

2. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I'm in the same boat. There are a number of threads on this, but from my searching I've come to these conclusions.

Performance between the 2, 2.0/2.4ghz is negligible. Users exceeding the requirements capable by the 2.0 are likely better suited for a pro. There does seem to be a small performance increase, but not much.

It's cheap to replace the harddrive, so increasing the memory from 2.0 _> 2.4 is also pretty small.

I'm torn on the backlit keyboard thing. I'm shopping for my first laptop, having only used a desktop. I've never had a problem in the dark on a desktop and see (perhaps in ignorance?) the backlighting as a cool but not necessary feature.

So you're looking at marginal improvements if you go for the upgrade, none of which, imo, worth it as a stand alone, but the 250-300 increase might be worth it if factoring the 3.

I suppose the main factor is budget. Can you afford the extra cost? If so, you're getting a better computer. If you can't, the lower end is almost the same machine. I'm wanting the 2.4, but likely, I'm a sucker and will be just as happy with the 2.0. I do want to add applecare, so I'm thinking I might do 2.0 + AC and be out no less $.

I'm still not decided!

3. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

Exactly how I feel. I've been using the 20" iMac since September and I'm in love with with. But in January (around the 15th or so) I am planning to get an Apple laptop. I just don't know which one yet.

I know that the difference between the two machines are negligible, but there is a difference. Plus, I am already used to the speed of my iMac and I never want to go back to the slowness of my ancient dinosaur of a PC.
    I had used my parents Compaq Presario as a laptop for a while, but it wasn't working out for me. It was just too slow and it crashed twice in the past year.

I am used to typing in the dark and I don't mind not having a backlit keyboard, but it does look cool.:p

I really can't afford the $250-300 price difference as $1,299 is already stretching my budget. And I also want AppleCare so that just adds to the bill.

Even after all of helpful threads on here, I still can't make up my mind.

4. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

There's none available right now, but keep an eye on the refurb store. 2.4 Ghz MBs should appear again for ~$200 off list, which is a pretty good deal. 2.0 Ghz models will be even cheaper, obviously.

Buy Applecare off eBay for cheap, and you're set.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

The only major difference between 2 models is, IMO, kb backlight. CPU speed is unnoticeable in 95% of cases, HD can be easily upgraded for cheap.

I don't think kb backlight is worth 300$, but its definitely a very nice feature to have.

6. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I bought my 2.0GHz at a Toronto Apple Store the day it became available, and at the time I was under the (mistaken) impression that it also had a backlit keyboard. Wrong! As I tend to use my laptop a fair bit in bed, as well as in darkened meeting rooms, the backlighting was just what I wanted. (My previous laptop was a 1GHz iBook G4 and its black-on-white keycaps were very easy to read in dim lighting; the grey-on-black of the new Aluminum models not so much.) So for me, that would have been worth the $300 by itself. Live and learn. But other than that, I'm 100% thrilled with the 2.0GHz, incredibly fast and I love the advanced video output capabilities for running Keynote presentations. :apple:

7. socco macrumors regular

I got the 2.4Ghz and I'm extremely happy with my choice. $300 seems like a lot for just a backlight on your keyboard, but if you use it a lot in the dark it's absolutely worth it.

8. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm in a similar situation. I've been using a 2.16GHz MBP for the past few months but have now sold that and will be getting one of the new Aluminium Macbooks over the next couple of months.

I think I have pretty much settled on the 2.0GHz one because there's always going to be a reason to spend the extra money. I mean, if you say 'the 2.4GHz is only another $300 so heck why not' then once you settle on the 2.4GHz, you might end up thinking 'well the MBP is only an extra few hundred so should I go with that instead?' and it goes on.

I fell into this trap with desktops and although I've not bought it yet, I've settled on a base Mac Pro because it was only £100 cheaper than the top of line iMac.

9. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I got the same and I am really happy with it. :D

10. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I would get the 2.4. You can't upgrade the processor or add backlit keys down the road if you decide you wish you had those things, and this is probably something you'll be using for a few years at least. Of course, it does depend on your budget - $300 is a very large sum to some people, and not much to others, so it's hard to advise anyone on this without knowing your finances.

11. iOrlando macrumors 68000

No difference....

if anything a bigger differnce would be between 1 and 2 gb of memory..and for normal internet surfing...even that difference isnt noticeable.

12. ccolaco macrumors 6502

I have the 2.4 Ghz primarily because I use it quite a lot in the dark in bed. A keyboard with black keys really benefits from a back-lit keyboard in the dark.

As for the processor, you really won't notice a difference in everyday computing. But it still IS faster so, depending on what your doing you may or may not notice a difference. Most likeyly you will not notice anything.

One advantage though in choosing the 2.4 is resale value. Faster theoretically means better. So ultimtely your decision would probably break down to the back-lit keyboard.

I called Apple to order the 2.0 the day it came out because the website had it with a back-lit keyboard. Because that was incorrect, they offered me $45 off the purchase...so I went with the 2.4.

13. akm3 macrumors 68020

If you keep and use computers a long, long time get the 2.4

If you upgrade and change computers frequently, get the 2.0

14. sansa11 thread starter macrumors member

I plan to use it for the next 4 years constantly. I might upgrade in 4 years, I might not.

I will also be using it in the dark,but not consistently. Just a once in a while thing when I'm in bed or maybe while in the car.

15. beth1400 macrumors newbie

2.4 GHz

My two cents (and I'm a newbie so take with grain of salt)...upgrading RAM and hard drive is an easier and cheaper option than upgrading processor speed. I purchased a 2.4 GHz macbook and was able to get larger hard drive and 4 GB RAM for less than $200 using internet sales. I now feel like I have a computer that will keep up with upgrades and seems more likely to last a few years (vs. 6 months). I have also been doing video editing and it works like a charm (not so with my 2.0 GHz laptop-with better video card!). I have observed less hanging and less crashing....actually, no crashing. Thanks Apple!

16. MooneyFlyer macrumors 65816

MooneyFlyer

I opted for the 2.4 because it can't easily be user-upgraded as someone mentioned earlier. I plan to get ~3 years from the MB and expect that Snow Leopard will take additional processing speed.

At the time I opted for the 2GB of memory but have since purchased the Crucial 4G upgrade...

17. LadyMary macrumors newbie

I went for the 2.4 and I must say I am very happy with my purchase. The lighted kb is a bonus and I can surf in the dark without straining my eyes to look for the keys :)