2.0 weeks until 2.0

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by losthobbit, Jun 27, 2008.

  1. losthobbit macrumors newbie

    Jun 10, 2008
    Mac faithful,

    I have a quick question. Today marks two weeks until the new firmware (2.0) is released. So, I called the closest Apple retail store to me and asked them, "if I buy an iPod touch today, will I have to pay for the upgrade in two weeks?" The lady responded with a, "yes." It was my understanding that if the Touch was bought within 14 days, the upgrade would be free. Am I wrong?

    Also, since this lady didn't know when their store would have Touches with the new firmware pre-loaded, is it better for me to buy one now and get the upgrade on 7.11? I've been waiting for what seems like forever and if I have to go another month or so, I may go bananas :)

  2. razorianfly macrumors 65816


    Oct 16, 2007
    Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Bite the bullet, drop the cash, buy now, and buy the update on 7/11.

    The most you'll lose out on is $9.95 (£4.99) :cool:

    To me, the amount is so acceptable, it's not worth talking about ... (in a good way).

  3. amusiccale macrumors 6502

    Jun 5, 2007
    Or, if you have close access to a store, pick one up on Tuesday rather than this weekend/Monday. For myself, I figure that if I've waited this long, waiting until Tuesday won't kill me.
  4. bc008 macrumors 68000


    Aug 6, 2007
    one of the reasons i got an iphone and got rid of my ipod touch, i hated having to pay for that upgrade, and i knew more were in the future.

    i would just wait the two weeks.. unless you need it, but then i dont see the point of this thread ;)
  5. losthobbit thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 10, 2008
    Thanks, everyone.

    I have no problem waiting the two more weeks. My concern is if my Apple store will have the updated iPods in their inventory soon after the update. I don't want to wait another month past 7/11.

    What if I bought the Touch from the online store on 7/11 or soon thereafter? Would it have the update automatically?
  6. amusiccale macrumors 6502

    Jun 5, 2007
    I'd guess it might be like when Leopard came out--you'd have the old software preinstalled but you could upgrade to the newer firmware for free. Perhaps a coupon or something.
  7. losthobbit thread starter macrumors newbie

    Jun 10, 2008
    I just spoke with someone from apple (1-800-MY-APPLE), and I asked about the whole coupon idea. Basically, if I bought it now, would I have to pay for the software upgrade in two weeks. He told me that to his knowledge, the software update in two weeks was a free download.

    What's up with that?:eek:
  8. Stinkypalm macrumors member

    Feb 14, 2007
    You rather pay the monthly fee? To get your upgrades free
  9. AceFernalld macrumors 68000


    Mar 3, 2008
    If you want App Store functionality you're going to have to pay $9.95. If you buy it before July 11th and you want the update you're going to have to cough up the money.

    If you buy your touch on or after July 11th and the price isn't discounted for v2.0, just contact Apple Support and they will credit your iTunes account the price of v2.0

Share This Page