2.0ghz late-2013 MBP vs. 2.3ghz mid-2012 MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hebi, Dec 1, 2013.

1. Hebi, Dec 1, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2013

Hebi macrumors newbie

My order was cancelled for a 2.3ghz mid-2012 Macbook Pro with OS Mountain Lion (but could have upgraded to Mavericks). The company I ordered from offered a 2.0ghz late-2013 Macbook Pro with OS X Mavericks for the same price as an apology. I'm wondering if it is a good choice to take it?

I intend to use the laptop for design programs like the ones from Adobe Creative Suite (or Cloud). Not so much gaming. There are various differences between the two, but many more similarities like getting 256GB flash storage and 8GB memory. They are both Retina versions. The biggest visible difference to someone like me is the .3GHz in the processor. Will that make a huge difference?

The graphics of the newest version has been upgraded as well.
    "mid-2012" Intel HD Graphics 4000 --- > "late-2013" Intel Iris Pro Graphics
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory --- > (none?)

The battery power seems to have been upgraded, too.

2. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Take it.

You might think, using numbers, that it'll be slower... but it really won't be. I wouldn't be surprised if it was actually faster than the one you got from last year would have been.

3. Hebi thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah, should I?

Oh, I should note that I might have read the stats wrong.
    The 2.0GHz one doesn't mention anything about NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB of GDDR5 memory, just the 2.3GHz (late-2013) one though the 2012 one has at least the 1GB of GDDR5 memory.