2.0ghz unibody MacBook Temperature Woes

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WayOutWest, Dec 14, 2008.

1. WayOutWest macrumors newbie

So I have been having a lot of questions come up since getting my 2.0ghz "GlassBook".

The one that I am facing now is temperature. It has been getting noticeably hot lately. My temps are as follows (researching on the internet for finals, browsing web, downloading an mp3 here and there):

C/F:
    CPU: 66/153
    Enclosure Base: 34/94
    Heatsink A: 64/151
    Heatsink B: 56/131

It is pretty hot to the touch. Any help? Is this normal? uptime is at 1d4h with sleep for about 8-9 of it.

Also, the left is much hotter than the right. The GPU/CPU could be over there I suppose or the HDD. Just trying to supply as much info as possible to figure this out.

This is new issue. I have not encountered this at all for the short duration (4-5 weeks) that I have had it. It has been HOT!! to the touch for the entire day now.

TIA:eek:

2. dcorban macrumors 6502a

dcorban

I have the 2.0 aluminum model and have never had it feel even remotely hot to the touch.

You should run activity monitor and see if there is a process using a high amount of CPU.

3. WayOutWest thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok temps are back up at 94 degrees enclosure 153 CPU. I've got firefox using 260mb of real memory and anywhere from 20-30 cpu. The only other thing close to that is Word which is using 150mb real memory and next to zero cpu. Does that help diagnose the problem at all? thanks for the help.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Does it shut down by itself? No? Then it doesn't overheat, don't worry.