2.0GHz vs 2.2 GHz 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tka, Mar 29, 2011.

1. tka macrumors newbie

I'm debating between the 2.0GHz and the 2.2 GHz 15" MBP. The 2.2GHz comes with the better video card (6750M).

Is the difference with the better video card just noticeable when playing games or are there additional benefits?

Thanks

2. vmachiel, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2011

vmachiel macrumors 68000

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The most noticeable difference is in games. It would get if you told us what the machine is going to be used for.

4. tka thread starter macrumors newbie

Will use it mainly for iOS and Android development.

5. abhic, Mar 29, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2011

abhic macrumors member

There are 3 differences between the 2.0 & 2.2

• 750GB HDD standard
    • CPU Speed Bump
    • 256MB vs 1GB Dedicated Video RAM

Bottom line if you are somebody who buys once every 2-3 years, then you should try to max out your config. On the same note, getting that extra 4GB RAM from OWC & Apple SSD are gonna go a long way for your development and super quick response time when multitasking between TextMate, Xcode, Chrome, iTunes, iPhoney and all that jazz.

I ended up getting the 15" 2.2 + 8GB + 128GB SSD and compiled a list of notes from all over the web before biting the 'apple' :) at http://bit.ly/fp35F7

6. brentsg macrumors 68040

For development work I wouldn't sweat the upgrades, personally. I'd go with the 2.0.

Extra RAM and an SSD are always nice but unless you're gaming then the GPU isn't needed. In fact I'd personally prefer a 15 with the integrated GPU only, especially if Apple doesn't make it easy to prevent the discrete GPU from being used.

7. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

As been mentioned, the benefit is in graphic-intensive requirements (games, video editing, etc.)... every day use won't gain a significant advantage.

8. adnoh macrumors 6502a

adnoh

9. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

Like you, I mainly wanted a new MBP for development, with just some light gaming. I bought the 2.0GHz system and used the money I saved to upgrade the screen to Hi-Res anti-glare, and to get the faster 500GB 7200 RPM disk drive. I needed the higher-res screen and faster drive much more than I needed the faster 3D graphics and slightly faster processor. If you do much development using just the laptop screen (i.e. without an external screen attached), you'll definitely appreciate having the extra hi-res screen real estate.

I haven't regretted the choice. The quad-core i7 is a terrific performer, and the 6490 GPU is fine for most graphics needs. In my (admittedly lightweight) gaming needs it has performed just fine.

10. tka, Mar 29, 2011

tka thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree with your points.

My dilemma is I save $100 with the education discount on the 2.0; I save $200 if I go with the 2.2.

This narrows the gap between the two units to $300. Beyond that, the 2.2 has the 7200 RPM hard drive option as a no cost upgrade (whereas its $100 extra on the 2.0). This further narrows the gap to $200.

For a $200 difference, I feel like I might as well go with the 2.2.

By the way, how's the noise level on the 7200 rpm drive? Is it very quiet? I've used some 2011 units with 5400 rpm drives and they're loud (even while the hard drive is not being accessed).

11. dailo macrumors regular

I was in the same boat as you and kept on going back and forth, but in the end I decided to stick with the 2.0. After taxes the difference is a little over $300 and I rather save that for the SSD. I end up upgrading computers every 1 to 2 years so I feel the extra graphics and little bump in speed wasn't worth it, especially since I don't play games on my Mac. The only difference is the 2.2 supports VT-d, but to the best of my knowledge there isn't anything that can really make use of it yet. If there was a significant performance when using VMware or Parallels I would of probably went with the 2.2.

12. bubbacaster, Mar 29, 2011

bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

Yeah if you can get close in price, then more is always better! If you're a developer, you may still want to add the hi-res AG display, about $150 normally (not sure with the ed discount). It was the main upgrade I wanted for doing dev work, since I always seem to need more space for viewing windows side-by-side.

Mine has been quiet and vibration free. I've read the posts about the noisy drives, but thankfully have not experienced that myself.

13. tka thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried the high res AG for a bit in the store. With the high res, I felt as though the smaller fonts while doing development will be a hard adjustment. Maybe its something I just have to get used to. Since I've been happy with standard res for a while now, I feel its risky to switch unless the high res was a sure thing.

14. bubbacaster macrumors newbie

bubbacaster

Yeah, not everyone likes the hi-res. If you regularly use an external monitor, it might be a moot point. Also, using Spaces can help diminish the pain of doing frequent side-by-side comparisons during dev... not quite as nice as true side-by-side, but still very useful. Me, I really love the hi-res display, but it doesn't suit everyone. That's $150 you won't need to spend... :cool:

15. sbbluewater macrumors member

I was facing the same decision; the 15" 2.0 base model or the 2.2 with the6750 gpu. I ended up going with the base 15" model and have been very happy. I don't really play games and I am putting the savings towards more RAM and a SSD which will benefit me more in the long run.