2.0ghz vs 2.3ghz vs wait (15 inch PR0)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 997.2, May 11, 2014.

1. 997.2 macrumors regular

Hello!

I am a college student who has used a white macbook (mid 2010) since 2010. it's getting old and Janky. I am looking at buying a new computer. The 15" looks great to me - I'd love more screen space. I game quite a bit - killing floor, prison architect, and counter strike to name a few games. Would the integrated graphics make a big impact on my FPS and gaming experience? I feel that the extra 600 is justified by the doubling of hard drive space and RAM, and if the graphics card makes a difference. I am really looking forward to hearing what you all think about the benefits of that extra $600. I have watched videos on youtube and tried to search for information but I would really appreciate some personal opinions - maybe some of you have been in my shoes before.

Sorry if I left anything out. This computer will be used for college coursework, browsing, media consumption, occasional video editing, and will be used for probably 4-5 years before replacement. Thanks everyone.

2. MarvinHC macrumors 6502a

Have you tried putting an SSD in the old one? (can) work wonders.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

The 750M GPU makes a huge difference when gaming. On my 15" rMBP (2.6/16/1TB/750M), I can play Battlefield 4 at 1680x1050, mix of high and ultra, FXAA and 16xAF, and I get an average of 47-50 fps, with the lowest being 35 fps and easily shooting past 60 fps in quite a number of situations. You can't get this gaming performance on an Iris Pro with BF4 at this settings.

Besides, if you configure the Iris-only and Iris+750M models to 2.3/16/512, both are priced identically, so the 750M is a free add-on.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I think for most things you will be very happy with the base 15" model; however for gaming you'll want the GT 750M.

Personally I have a dedicated gaming laptop, so I prefer the integrated graphics which runs cooler and has better battery life.

5. yjchua95 macrumors 604

I disagree. Having the Iris-only model actually makes things run hotter, as more tasks are put into the processor itself, rather than being delegated to the processor and a separate GPU.

A post in this thread (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1731178) shows that the Iris-only model runs hotter than the Iris+750M model under heavy tasks.

The 750M model will also have an equal battery life with the Iris-only model because the user can just use gfxcardstatus to disable the 750M and force it into Iris-only.

6. leman macrumors 604

Not for those kind of games. If you are not playing modern demanding 3D games, then even Iris Pro will be an overkill for you.