2.1 Battery Life is really Bad!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ryanhdd, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Ryanhdd macrumors regular

So I updated my Iphone 3g this morning and well for the first time in a while I turned on the 3g and well the phone works better now. But and I mean a big but, I only have 3g on and thats it, no location no wifi nothing else but 3g, Its been half a day and I am already getting the 20% warning. What gives. Before it was better, anyone else?:confused:

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

i've noticed a slight improvement. i have every thing turned on and my battery is still at 50% as i near the end of my work day.

3. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Is it possible you iPhone wasn't fully recharged when you did the update? I know if you only have it connected for an hour or so the battery will appear pretty full, but won't last like a solid 3-4 hour charge will.

4. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Ryan,

It isn't at all unusual for portable electronics devices to reset their gas gauge monitors when the firmware is updated. I'm willing to bet that if you run the battery all the way down, then fully charge it, that you'll start to see a much more satisfactory profile - meaning better battery life. In particular, if you haven't been fully charging and discharging your battery on a regular basis (say, every month or so), it's quite common to see this sort of miscalibration.

Just go through a full cycle or two, and you should be set!

Cheers!
    Mark

5. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

I will try that. although i do discharge it all the way and charge it up about every month or so. But i will let it full discharge and we will see what happens.

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

It's karma for your hand-job joke in the other thread. ;)

My battery is lower than normal after the 2.1 update as well, but that's only because after 2.1, I can finally use Pandora at work without it pausing all of the dang time like it did pre-2.1. :D

Oh, and hello from Chesapeake (Greenbrier). :)

7. Ryanhdd thread starter macrumors regular

LOL Hey it looks like you guys are going to finally get a nice interstate there at battlefield. :)

8. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

You folks have defective batteries then...or you need to fully discharge then test again after the 2.1 update.

I am at 2.0.2...and I am at work in a area with no cell service. I have everything turned on. I have been to lunch and used 3G and wifi, downloaded a few apps, used a few apps, surfed the web for about an hour.

I am at 75 percent battery life. So with 2.1

9. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Battery life is appalling after the update - see attachment (and I've been out most of the evening and not used my phone much at all). I also have the previously noted problem with my iPod touch where the battery dies in no time when it's on standby.
    I never really had a problem with my battery life pre 2.1, but if this is an indication of what it's going to be like, it won't even last me a day in the office :(

Attached Files:

10. alFR macrumors 68020

Maybe the update wiped out your battery calibration data: try recalibrating it (drain, full recharge) and let us know what happens then.

11. MJFlash macrumors member

Hi, Folks,

I'll emphasize one point. When you're recalibrating the battery's gas gauge, make sure you run the phone until it shuts itself off. Don't just run until you get a battery low warning, but all the way down until off. Otherwise, your phone will continue to deliver less battery life than it's capable of!

Cheers!
    Mark

P.S. For impatient types like me, to do this, turn auto-lock off, set brightness to max, and then run a 3D game - that's one of the fastest ways to discharge the battery. By the way, Asphalt 4's a fine choice for the 3D game - once you start the race, it'll run itself. Only two touches needed every few minutes.

12. Rat-Boy macrumors 65816

Rat-Boy

LOL...

You have more usage there than I was getting BEFORE my update to 2.1

If I got 3 hours usage, I was doing REAL good.

13. aristobrat macrumors G4

I'd give it a full charge tonight and see how it goes tomorrow.

If you're like a lot of people and just plugged your iPhone into the computer long enough to update, I think process of updating the software + firmware might have taken more out of the battery than the USB sync cable put back into the battery during the 10-15 minutes it was attached to the computer.