2.1: Can't type the word "MacBU"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeeYouEye, Sep 22, 2008.

1. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

Every single time it comes out as "MacBI". Even trying by sliding my finger from Y to U to I skips over the letter U. Anyone else have this problem? Occurs at least in Notes and Safari.

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

3. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

4. Loopy65 macrumors 6502a

Loopy65

It changed to BI yes but I backspaced and it stayed at BU first time .. tried mail, safari and notes! .. I'm puzzled by this query!

Loopy

5. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

There is definitely something "funky" happening with the keyboard: If you type in MacB then slide your finger across the top row, you can't select w,r u or p!
    There have been a few examples of this sort of behaviour on these forums: I guess it's something to do with the auto-correct on the keyboard.

@Mindflux - it's interesting that it worked on your phone - did it type in straight away, or did you delete the I and replace it with a U?

6. GeeYouEye thread starter macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

That's odd, just 5 minutes ago all those letters except U worked, and U and O didn't. Now it's as you describe.
    He's not running 2.1, or perhaps is on a non-3G iPhone. The shift highlight doesn't look like that on mine.

EDIT: it gets weirder. The same problem occurs with: MazBU, MaxBU, MavBU and MamBU, but not MabBU or ManBU, or any key from any of the other rows in the third letter.

7. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

I'm running 2.1. I just had caps lock on (double tap shift) to type "BU".

8. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

[​IMG]

I have a custom keyboard theme(jailbroken EDGE version, 1st gen.)

9. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

here:

Attached Files:

10. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

Why wouldn't you?

11. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Why would you?

12. cantthinkofone macrumors 65816

cantthinkofone

I don't know...to start a topic on a computer forum...:p

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

He's running 2.1, and you can get your shift to look the same way. Just hit shift twice. That's the Caps Lock.

*shrug*

[​IMG]

The auto-correct does "learn" as you type, so it might be possible that yours somehow "unlearned" MacBU and the others. Maybe if you keep correcting it, it might "re-learn" that as a possibility.

14. Etnies419 macrumors 6502

Strange... I was able to reproduce this glitch before, but now it won't work. I've tried it in a bunch of apps with keyboards, but it won't work in either of them. I wonder what causes this.

15. Jsha224 macrumors newbie

the iphone does have a feature that automatically extends the touch area of a letter that covers up some neighboring letters in cases where it recognizes the word before you finish typing it. Making it less likely to make a mistake on the last letter. So like for MacBU for whatever reason it thinks you are spelling MacBI so after you type the "B" it extends the touch area of the "I" over the "U." Don't see why it would recognize either word but I have been able to replicate this on some other common words.

Here are some other words where it extends the touch area on the last area: Banana, Short, About, Most, iphone, etc.
    In those cases it's been impossible to type an adjacent letter on the first attempt at the word. But can be solved by hitting the delete key.

16. NDimichino macrumors 6502a

NDimichino

17. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Macintosh Business Unit

The guys and gals @ Microsoft who brought us the wonderful Microsoft Office: Mac.

Wonderful.

</sarcasm>

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Well, to give credit where it's due, most reviews I read all agree that Word for Mac is actually better than Word for Windows.

So, good for them.

19. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

That's because you re-trained the auto correct on your iPhone. After you correct it a certain number of times, the iPhone begins to "learn" that you really mean to type "MacBU," and will remember it.

20. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

i did this today, after 3 tries it works without a problem

21. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

My phone stored the word after three times (evidenced by the suggested word), but here's what's totally weird: when I held down all the way over CLEARLY on the "U" key, the "I" key popped up, and holding down longer, foreign symbols appeared for me to select. The foreign symbols are not the weird part; the weird part is that while CLEARLY pressing the "U" key, the "I" key popped up. Try it.

Attached Files:

22. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

I actually had a conversation yesterday with several of my friends that also have iPhones, and all of us agreed that we are getting pretty frustrated with the lack of competence of the auto-correct software on the iPhone. Many times, when I go to type a sentence that makes perfect sense, when I observe what the auto-correct does, it changes the sentence to where it does NOT make sense, or says something completely different from the sentence that I had intended to type. Apple! Fix this! :mad:

(you should add a poll to this thread and ask how many people are disappointed with the incompetence of the auto-correct)

23. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I won't bother with a screen capture but it works for me too. Cue the pics or it didn't happen crowd.