2.1 Does not appear to backup app data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheBearman, Sep 10, 2008.

1. TheBearman macrumors 6502

The subject about covers it. I have a touch so wanted to do some testing with the 2.1 update to see if at least the app problems have been solved. Backup is very fast (after you go through the backup prior to the upgrade).

It appears, just looking, that they are not backing up the apps, music and videos as part of the backup image. Not a bad idea, but does seem to have a flaw. The application data is lost and not available for a restore.

I did attempt to recover/restore from the backup, and it didn't give me any problems with the image. An odd thing on the restore is that it restored all my apps, even the ones I had removed prior to the backup. It also attempted to install all my music instead of the playlist I had selected, all my movies and all my tv shows.

Seems to me that they still have a few bugs to work out. Still playing with the update to see what else has changed (again, just from an app level).

2. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Backup has always been fast immediately after a backup. It's because nothing has changed since you just did a backup.

Music/vids have never been part of the backup.

3. TheBearman thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's true, but.. When the 2.1 install completed I did a full restore to factory settings then started items to the touch. I then did a backup, after deleting all backup images stored on the disk. Backup was very fast and this is what I would call an initial backup.

Didn't know the image didn't include the music and movies, but it makes sense. What doesn't make sense is moving apps to this same model. I guess the question now is, what are they backing up? Even the supplied app notepad data isn't being restored.