2.1 - Genius on phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by spykedmartini, Sep 9, 2008.

1. spykedmartini macrumors member

Does anyone know if the new 2.1 software will enable those with iphones to use the genius playlists on the phone directly? The keynote showed some differences in the ipod layout and i was wondering if all of that will be on the iphone too. Thanks!

- spykedmartini

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Yeah, all of the features that they showed in 2.1 will be in the iPhone release, too.

3. americaskate macrumors member

I came to post the same thing.
    Can anyone confirm this.
    I have read on several sites that Nike and Genius playlists were only for ipod touch.

4. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

5. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

i was wondering the same. kind of a nice feature like pandora or last fm.

of course, i'll need to wait for an updated pwnage version to take advantage of it!

6. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Confirmed. The genius button you saw in the event video is a feature of the 2.1 software and part of the iPod app. The Nike+ is a separate app that you could see on the home screen.

7. Cyclone Chris macrumors regular

We'll probably see the Genius feature on the iPhone... I'm sure Apple will incorporate anything that will bring them additional revenue since Genius is built in with the iTunes Store.

8. synagence macrumors 6502a

There is no way they will miss this feature off the iPhone... as much as people may or may not like the feature they'll cry out if its not there.

9. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It's in the iPod touch 2.1 firmware (go to the iPod touch page at the Apple website and you can see the Genius logo on the screen under the slider, in the large images), so it would definitely be in the iPhone update.

10. kidwithshirt macrumors member

got itune 8 installed and the genius thing is awesome!

It really generates a VERY nice playlist. The reason I JUST sold my ipod video yesterday is because I hate picking music all the time from my 5000 song selection on such a small screen. This genius thing probably will save me a lot of time and help me rediscover some of my music.

Took a while for itunes to get it set up though, about half a movie length =\ worth it

11. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Yeah, it's on the iPod Touch. The 2.1 firmware for the Touch was released yesterday so I downloaded it after installing iTunes 8. Not sure why they need another couple of days for the iPhone... maybe they need to test it a bit more, or maybe they're just trying to distribute server load -- they might not want everyone downloading iTunes 8 and iPod firmware and iPhone firmware and iPod Nano QT movies and iPod Touch QT movies all at the same time.

Genius on iPhone & Touch isn't much to see really... it just shows up as another playlist. Haven't tried it yet.

I can say however that the backup process runs considerably faster now, though I can't say that the overall sync process (of which backup is one part) is any faster. It still takes 5 or so minutes to sync even when no data has changed, which is about 4 minutes and 45 seconds too much.