iPod touch 2.1 ipod touch 1G jailbreak?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Jennyluv07, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Jennyluv07 macrumors newbie

I was just showing my dad my jailbroken iphone and he's asked if I can do this with his first generation ipod touch. I was wondering if the directions that are linked at the top of this forum work well? We was asking about upgrading to 3.0 from 2.1 because many of the apps aren't compatible but apple is changing 5 bucks to do so?! Suggestions as to whether he should do this before jailbreaking or if we can get the software for free once jailbroken and then just jailbreak again? Thanks in advance!

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can get iOS 3.1.3, the last version for the iPod Touch 1G, for free. But posting links to it is not allowed here as it would be considered piracy.

I suggest updating his iPod and using redsn0w version 0.9.4. When it asks you to point it at the IPSW of the currently installed version, point it at a 3.1.2 IPSW, not 3.1.3.

3. Jennyluv07 thread starter macrumors newbie

can redsn0w be used for the ipod touch 1g? Most of the sources I've found suggest to use quickpwn and the link on this website suggests ZiPhone. I used redsn0w for my iphone so I'm a bit familiar with it already

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Yes, redsn0w can be used with an iPod Touch 1G.

I highly recommend that you never use ZiPhone. It is the only jailbreak tool ever released to the public that has the potential of actually bricking your iPod. Not the "stuck on Apple logo" kind of brick, but the "never start up again" with no DFU mode kind of brick. Quickpwn is rather old and hasn't been updated is years. Not sure if it even supports iOS 3.1.3.

5. Jennyluv07 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks...I Viphone is the one this site links to so that's bad news! I found a website with steps to update his ipod so I'll try that first then I'll go for redsn0w. Thanks!