2.1 is still terrible!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by upsguy27, Oct 25, 2008.

1. upsguy27 macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I thought 2.1 was supposed to fix all of the crashing and lagging issues, but safari still crashes 10-12 times a day, and typing anything lags so much. In fact, I'm posting this from my iPhone right now, and this is the second time I've had to type this message because safari crashed. I already tried restoring; it didn't fix anything. Anybody else's iPhone like this?

2. Chef-Jer macrumors member

I think hardware plays a big part. My first phone was rock solid with 2.1 no drop calls and very rarely did anything crash.

My second phone (1st one cracked) was horrible. Safari and apps crashed all the time with 2.1. I get great 3g service in my apartment, but in order to make a call I had to shut 3g off. The phone constantly dropped calls when on 3g .

My 3rd phone is great (2nd one cracked as well). No dropped calls, amazing call quality, and safari rarely crashes. I think safari has crashed 3-4 times total since I got phone 3 on Monday.

My experience with the second phone was so bad I considered getting a different phone. Take your phone to the apple store and have them check it out, you might have a dud.

3. Encryptic macrumors member

Nope

4. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

The weird thing is that when I first got my iPhone, it was almost fine, then I restored it, and it's been pretty bad ever since. Why is that?

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

Do another restore maybe.

2.1 crashes maybe once a week for me now.

6. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I just remembered something else: when I try to play certain songs in the iPod, it doesn't play them and the whole thing locks up. It's not the songs, they play fine in iTunes.

7. Chef-Jer macrumors member

Not sure. I tried everything with my second phone - redownloaded 2.1, reinstalled from DFU mode nothing helped. - keyboard lagged, apps and safari crashed, and could not make a call with 3g on.

Try reinstalling 2.1 from DFU mode, might help. If not go to the apple store.

8. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i agree... safari crashes constantly and i still get the delayed (hanging) keys when i text or email... it is driving me crazy.

so if others are not having this problem, i wonder if it is my phone?

if the next firmware update does not fix this i am taking it back to the store.

i surf constantly and when safari crashes 6-8 times within a 10 minute period, that is quite unacceptable to me...

9. nick9191 macrumors 68040

10. iblastoff macrumors 6502

definitely have similar issues. running 2.1 and have about 5 pages of apps. safari crashes all the time. like at least 5-10 times within half an hour of surfing. keyboard lag is mostly gone though. it only happens when i'm sometimes filling in a web form.

i thought long backups were FIXED but after a while, its now back to its slow ass pathetic crawl. takes at least 1/2 hour to backup again. what the hell is wrong with this crap?

11. redrog macrumors 6502

redrog

I reckon apps might be the key to this. Mine is definitely getting worse over time and the only major thing changing is the number of apps.

12. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

I only have one page of apps. I'll try restoring through DFU mode today.

13. danny_w macrumors 601

I have never (rarely anyway) had Safari crash before. Now with 2.1 it crashes almost every time I try to use it.

14. ebony macrumors regular

2.1 is garbage on my phone. The lag is terrible.

I restored to 1.1.4 a couple of weeks back and went to the apple store. I compared the speed ( time to open apps, especially contacts, sms and settings ) of my 1.1.4 to 8 different iphones on 2.1. 1.1.4 was faster on everything.

I'm convinced people who say they have no issues with 2.1, have either received a special batch of phones - the same batch steve jobs gets to see ( because no way would he let 2.1 out of the door if he knew the reality of how bad it is ), or they have just never used 1.1.4 and know no better..... in my opinion.

15. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Make sure that you go into Safari and close down all the open pages that you aren't actively viewing (by clicking the square/number icon in the lower right corner of the screen). The iPhone is designed to shut down the currently-running app when it runs low on memory, so that the phone app always has enough memory to run. Safari unfortunately takes up a lot of memory for each webpage that's loaded, and large complicated websites take more than others. And Safari can even run in the background, causing other apps to shut down from memory issues. Also, the music player takes up memory itself, that's another thing you can do to try and keep Safari from crashing when visiting memory-intensive websites.

If Safari is crashing to the home screen multiple times in one session, that's a signal that you're system is low on memory; try shutting down the system entirely and then turning it back on to clear out memory. A full shutdown I mean - hold the reset button (not the home button) until you get the option to shut down the system, and then choose that.

16. CBR900RR macrumors 6502a

My safari always crash on this apple site, also confirm that with 3 other iphone 3g in the apple store, all running OS 2.1

http://www.apple.com/iphone/appstore

So far only one ipod touch with OS 2.1.1 can load the full page without crash

17. Electro Funk macrumors 65816

Electro Funk

i do a hard reboot every morning in hopes of this not happening...

still does...

leads me to believe 2.1 firmware is garbage...

18. danny_w macrumors 601

19. efp1 macrumors 6502

efp1

you're right. I just tried it with my phone and it crashed while trying to load it on both 3G and WiFi.

20. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

On mine Safari crashes often and the GPS doesn't work. I also don't get notifications for my mail anymore.

21. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

LOL. So true! And funny

I agree 100%

22. upsguy27 thread starter macrumors 65816

upsguy27

Both of these pages crash for me on my iPhone, no tabs open, after rebooting.

23. TheConfuzed1 macrumors 6502a

Safari crashes for me too.

I'm looking forward to Push Notification, and a stable Safari. Give me that, and I'll be happy.