Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Apple messed up!

I have an old iPhone (1st gen) that I used as an iPod, as there's no Sim card in it anymore. I can't get V2.1 of the OS to work, as it needs to be activated - but I don't want to use it as a phone.

How do I unlock it? C'mon Apple, this phone should be more than a brick to me.

dgdosen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 13, 2003
Seattle
Actually - now I think I see what's FUBAR -

I had the phone in airplane mode - it's STILL in airplane mode, but now I can't take it out of airplane mode because iTunes hasn't activated it, but I can't use the phone to take it out of Airplane mode, because the phone is locked until I can unlock it iTunes.

Is anyone else in the same boat? How do I get out of this?

Opie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2008
Well if you still have at&t you can take the sim card out and put it in iphone for just a little bit. Go through the process and set it up. After you upgrade it take the sim card out and you should be golden. I always would restore mine and when it asked me to restore from backup or set up as new iphone i would do neither and just eject it and take out the sim and it functions on wifi and as an ipod. It can be a hassle though.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
Try to dial the emergency number. (You can do this even with an unactivated iPhone) and that should kick it out of Airplane mode.

leodavinci0

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2006
Try to dial the emergency number. (You can do this even with an unactivated iPhone) and that should kick it out of Airplane mode.

Any number actually. I had this problem before, and when you dial a number it gives you the option of turninig off airplane mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.