2.1 or 2.0.1 wtf is going on already JUST FIX THE IPHONE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by theshadow07039, Aug 3, 2008.

1. theshadow07039 macrumors member

Ok we already know 2.0 is the buggiest piece of crap that apple has ever produced, no I'm not exaggerating I've experienced all of the "new generation" apple software and I can't stand this 2.0 which has every problem under the sun ipod skips and stutters when surfing safari or on applications, applications randomly crash, mail randomly crashes freezes forcing me to hard reset. At first we heard of a 2.0.1 update now suddenly its gone under the radar and everyone is talking about 2.1 let's get this straight enough is enough. Who cares about new functions if the old functions are crap, I miss the days of 1.1.4 and because of Apple's damn secrecy policy we don't know what's going on 2.0.1 or 2.1. Honestly if Apple suddenly makes 2.0.1 disappear and make us wait another 2 months for an update which according to apple's new pattern will cause even more bugs than before. Just give us 2.0.1 already and the smoothness that was pre-2.0 apple, I'm a fan of apple and the only reason why i am not going to switch to bb thunder when it comes out is because Im hoping apple will do better and all the money I spent on the itunes store..

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Great? Wonderful? Cool? Exciting?

You choose which response for me! Thanks!

3. RonCarr macrumors regular

RonCarr

I am ready for the update as much as anyone else, but, time my friend time. We see what happens when they rush software out. Now give them time to get it right for us. They will fix it soon enough. Now in the mean time I have heard enough bitching. You are saying nothing new here. Just sit back, enjoy a few hard resets and a beer and wait for the update button in iTunes to become active.

-Ron

4. allurbase macrumors member

You're right, we already know.

5. pflau macrumors 6502

2.0 has been quite stable for me.. I don't know what you people are talking about. Is there a bug tracker somewhere on the web that documents steps to reproduce all the issues?

The only thing that concerns me is a couple times when the iPhone says there is no SIM installed. I will see if that reappears..

6. Medic macrumors member

2.0 has been good for me. Just a couple of aps which crash at load from time to time but overall its fine (touch wood). If you have jailbroken and/or installed tons of aps, then maybe that's causing instability...:confused:

7. stevearm macrumors 6502a

Taking 2-3 seconds to register that I've tapped a contact's name is what infuriates me. Laggy stuttering menus, arghhh.

8. Excellerator macrumors 6502a

I just recently jailbroke my 3G and I can say the problems were there beforehand.

9. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Is this the equivalent of a WTF2.1BBQLRDY ?
    Apple has a shed load of things to fix. I'd imagine they're on it.

10. AustinSTI macrumors 6502

Yeah and they probably are taking longer to get it out because they want to get it right/fix the problem.

11. crazyitalian198 macrumors regular

Agreed. They will fix it. Anyone remember the first iphones launch firmware???

That **** was buggy as f**K!

If the iPod or Safari crashed one more time I was going to chuck it at someone.

So now were dealing with lag and slow contact lists. Every once in a while an app crashes. It may take a few updates to fix everything (stability was perfected at 1.1.3), but it will get done!

12. Donz0r macrumors 6502a

I couldn't agree more, if I have to do one more hard reset I'm gonna lose it!

13. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

O.K. I'll get right on it! :rolleyes:

Um, I think this is the wrong place to demand and YELL about fixing the iPhone.

14. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

EVerybody just needs to calm down...Apple is working on it and they will give us an update soon...probably sometime this month...or early september..

15. phannon666 macrumors regular

We don't "all" know because not everyone is experiencing these problems, so yes you are exaggerating. Various polls I've seen popup around here would indicate that most peoples phones are working fine, and while I can appreciate this is a good number of people who may need an update, these things take time. Would you rather 2.0.1 fix less bugs and introduce even more?

Personally, mine is one of the ok ones, zero problems, hardware or software.

16. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

That's funny, in my eyes, the buggiest in means of usability and getting what it said would work would have to be MobileMe, but that is just my opinion. And we should be expecting the bug release (2.0.1) within a week or two, and Apple has more than one development team, one team is currently working on bug fixes in 2.0 and will release a bug fix update (2.0.1) once they feel that they have worked the biggest bugs out, right now they probably feel that there are still some bugs that they want to work out now, and not have to release another one in a few days once they find & solve another problem. So don't worry, they haven't forgot about 2.0.1 or skipped over it. Another development team is working on 2.1, it is not at all in Apple's fashion to let a product sit for 2 months before a bug-patch release, I would expect bug patch within a week or two, and then 2.1 (apps in the background) in September as announced.

17. Project macrumors 68020

/sigh @ this completed flawed post

So in order to fix a (rushed) OS, you want them to rush the update?

And youa re moaning about the secrecy, when its this very release that was announced in March with every new feature revealed? 1.1.4 was much more "secret" than 2.0 so how do you miss those days?

18. Riemann Zeta macrumors 6502a

I highly doubt that there will be a 2.0.1. Since 2.1 is completely incompatible with 2.0, why would Apple spend the time developing/testing/releasing an update for a depreciated system just a week or so before the 2.1 OS is due to hit (which will probably be in Sep)? Personally, I think OS 2.0 is no buggier than OS 1.0 when the iPhone first appeared, but at least with 1.0, there were some quick updates.

And I think the 'secrecy' complaints only apply to active iPhone developers. Unfortunately, Apple is being so ridiculously paranoid about software development on the iPhone that most developers are working under a "black box" model. I think the situation with the iPhone is similar to how Sony handled the initial SDK for the PS3 (although the PS3 is also hampered by the fact that its hardware is extremely hard to code for if you aren't a preeminent expert in massively parallel design)--the point being that keeping developers on a "need to know" basis prevents them from learning the system and results in poor quality initial releases. It will thus take a generation or two for iPhone software to not suck, because developers need time to learn how to fully utilize the hardware.

19. FJR macrumors regular

I seriously doubt we get 2.1 anywhere near the beginning of september. I'd guess 2.0.1 comes out in a week or maybe two. Its pretty well established that apple has already spent the time developing and testing 2.0.1.

The only thing that will keep us from getting 2.0.1 is if the version they tested recently was buggy and couldn't be fixed without "starting from scratch" and they just decided to re-do the whole thing and include it with 2.1.

20. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Mine is not jailbroken.

I have about 3.5 pgs of apps if you include the standard.

But that should not be an excuse to say "oh you must have a lot of apps installed!"

That's like saying "you have too many music files, that's why it crashes!"

Why SHOULD having a lot of apps installed cause ANY problems, especially since they can't run in the background. And if it does crash because of that, then that's a huge bug!

I had nothing happen to me until yesterday when it spontaneously rebooted (I was in the home screen and tapped a standard app). Then it would not ever finish booting (stuck at apple logo). Resets galore did not help and I had to restore.

But before it happened to me, I didn't think that because it didnt happen to me that all the posts about problems were the user's fault. Not with the volume of issues posted about.

21. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

You know what, I think what we actually need is a thread predicting the order of priority.

As said above, MobileMe's mess, and the Annoying Inconsistent data errror (alongside the crazy places the iPhone puts its information when looking at contacts through Outlook etc) is currently rivaling the huge backup problem (which might be a very slow delivery of crash reports issue, hence the dummy's guide thread on saying no to uploading crash reports).

Any takers?

1) MobileMe
    2) Overly long backup times
    3) Video
    10) Cut & Paste

184) MMS

22. ogdogg macrumors 6502

My Dad, whom I should mention uses his iPhone out of necessity only and couldn't care less about apps or exchange support (yes he's just a regular guy who got the iPhone for maps to help with his job as a driving instructor) uttered the words, "I wish I wouldn't have upgraded to 2.0", to me last night. It really made me think that Apple dropped the ball for the non-fanboys out there with this buggy release. I love Apple and have defended it against Microsoft since the early 80's. This software release and lack of a timely update is the biggest mistake Apple has ever made in my opinion. I just feel bad I told my Dad he should update... Apple should have made this upgrade (what should be called a beta release) optional and alerted people that there were still bugs to be worked out. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I've got apps on my phone, but for those who could care less about the apps, 2.0 is a nightmare.

23. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

If this 2.0 thing keeps crashing, I'm going to have to load windows vista onto my iPhone!

24. iblastoff macrumors 6502

well the iphone 3g is the first mac product i own and i have to say, the fact that it crashes DAILY is something i definitely did not expect, after having to hear apple fanboys whining about windows for years upon years.

i'm also not used to all of these ridiculous restrictions? nda's? no background processes allowed? random removal of apps from the store for no given reason? hmm.

25. fteter macrumors member

Well, in my experience, the 2.0 firmware is not as stable as 1.1.4...but I'm not surprised. It's just part of the deal with using software or firmware with a version number that ends in "0".

At this point, better for Apple to take some time and get it right rather than rushing out a buggy release.