2.1 or 5.1 speaker system with iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Hellhammer, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

So my Logitech Z-10 2.0 speakers has to be replaced because I want a subwoofer. Currently I'm looking at Logitech X-230 (2.1), Logitech Z-3e (2.1) or Logitech X-530 or X-540 (both are 5.1). I only use them for listening music (metal) so do I need 5.1? Are 5.1 much better than 2.1? I've been happy with my current speakers but subwoofer would be a nice extra. Tell me what you have guys.

2. Icestyle macrumors member

Icestyle

You would have to get the Logitech Z-5500 to really use 5.1.

With analog output you need 3 cables for 5.1 sound.
    The iMac doesn't have them!

The only way to get 5.1 is with an optical cable - and your speakers must have a decoder. Else it won't work.

(I had Logitech Z-5450 which were superb, now I have the Z-5500 and I'm angry because of only one optical input... But the sound quality is awesome!)

3. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

It all depends on content. You get the best results from content that is encoded in that format.

If you are not going to be watching movies in surround sound then I would got for 2.1. I use the Bose companion 5 and they are excellent. They give you a surround sound effect that is fairly impressive. The best sound I have heard from a 2.1 computer setup.

I am a bit of an audiophile and so I appreciate the small things in audio.

4. seb-opp macrumors 6502

5.1 has no real benefit for you as your main use is music which is only stereo. If you watch movies a lot then 5.1 would be useful

5. friareunuch macrumors member

pair of mackie HR824s. most unbiased speakers ever. sound great on absolutely everything.

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Ummm. iThink both generations of Yamaha's are more unbalanced... I'd still take my KRKs any day of the week.

Also, you are most likely blowing the OPs budget out of the water... How many X-540s could you buy for a pair of 824s.

Umm..agreed

My suggestions would be either the Z-2300s if you are a logitech fanboy. I'd stay away from Bose, you are overpaying, at that price point I'd get the Altec Lansing FX6021s or the new Creative GigaWorks T3. I just heard a demo of the latter, they sound amazing at that price point. If you were looking to take a dive into the pro world of things; Blue Sky's 2.1 line-up is probably best. Avoids the need for having an external MIDI controller.

7. Icestyle macrumors member

Icestyle

The Logitech Z-2300 are great.
    I wanted 5.1 so I switched to the Z-5450.

But if all you do is listen to music then the Z-2300 are a very good choice.

(Even though I like listening to music 5.1 via Creative's X-Fi CMSS-3D technology.)

8. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Tried them the other day and was disappointed with the seperation between bass and treble (highs and lows). It sounded to me like there was a bit of overlapping compared to other systems I have heard. I was really looking forward to what they had to offer.

But ultimately there is no absolutely perfect system since everyone has a different tonality threshold. You need to hear them yourself and see what suits the music you like to listen to and your hearing.

9. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I don't know how far you can stretch your budget or if you could even find these speakers where you live, but for a pretty good 2.1 setup, I would go for a pair of Aego M's.