2.1 Secret Features???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rannddeee, Sep 12, 2008.

1. rannddeee macrumors regular

I've skimmed through a few threads and found no mentions of the secret features. What are they. I tried to read more threads but my son keeps wanting to go on youtube.

Don't flame me if this has been brought up already.

2. redman042 macrumors 68020

I don't mean to flame, but if there actually were secret features, at least any significant ones, there would be 5 threads on the subject by now.

Turns out the update only had what Steve told us it would, pretty much (plus Genius).

3. iSaga macrumors regular

I don't think there are any "secret" features. There are a few new features which are pretty cool though. I think by secret you are referring to the rumors before the update was announced by Jobs.

I think we are going to see an update from this update pretty soon, as in this month. I think Jobs plan was to include push and possibly turn by turn GPS in 2.1 originally but then changed his mind, with all the fuctioning issues users were having it makes sense to release an update that fixes all bugs and then release an update with the new features.

4. andyhargreaves macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Durr, I can name at least 3...

- New 3G icon
    - New EDGE icon
    - New GPRS icon

;)

5. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

K...I guess I've been out of the loop since I have to take care of my 2 week old son.

6. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

I like the old EDGE/3G icons. The EDGE icon looks odd.

7. iSaga macrumors regular

The best new feature is the Genius feature. I like it alot.

8. nutmac macrumors 68040

iPod app shows more info for music and video on the 2nd line. The UI is also slightly redesigned. Perhaps this was on 2.0.2 and I am just noticing this, but video playback supports rotation now (180 flip only).

9. dalcorn1 macrumors regular

I dont know if this has been mentioned but this is something i hadnt noticed before.

I deleted an app off my iPhone but not iTunes and after syncing the application setting as switched from sync all apps to sync checked ones and the app i removed is unchecked, saves the time of re installing the app and having to delete it again if i forget to.

Also if anyones having problems with sync, i've noticed that my last.fm running really messes with the back up speed, as in stops it completely.

10. dom7 macrumors member

There is one secret new feature. You can now "triple pinch" the headphones to go back a song. I'm 100% sure this was not a feature before.

11. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I don't know if those can be classified as "features".

12. masteroflondon macrumors regular

congratulations mate!! :D

13. cere macrumors 6502

Two weeks..how can you even have time to read forums? Mine is 7.5 months now and I didn't get back to normal web browsing habits for at least a month. Way too busy trying to catch 5-10 minute naps when I could.

14. rannddeee thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you!

The baby is sleeping at the moment.

15. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Did someone say "secret features" ?

What are they?

16. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Genius is the secret feature.

If you tap while an iTunes song is playing, the Genius icon will appear.
    I haven't tapped the Genius icon yet. I'm going to experiment with Genius on
    my computer before I mess with my phone.

[​IMG]

17. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Not much messing with the iPhone is required...

Genius is great- tap the icon while listening to a song and a 25-song playlist is created. I really dig it. Some of the more obscure songs I have seem to stump the Genius but that's been rare. It's a great new feature.

18. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

That's actually a pretty big thing - one of the features mentioned with the new in ear phones is triple click to go back a song. If they've added support for this feature in the iPhone firmware, maybe there's a chance they've added fully support for the new headphones...