2.1 Speaker set that match the current iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by The JTizzle, Dec 5, 2010.

1. The JTizzle macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Looking to upgrade my current 2.1 set of Cyber Acoustics. Any one have any recommendations for a solid 2.1 set that match the iMac?

2. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I used to have a bose companion 3 series ii speakers. The sound quality was amazing and they looked great with my iMac. I had to sell them due to financial trouble :(

3. Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

I've got some Empire Tube Amp Speakers. They have amazing sound and only cost me 1300 DKK (about $233).

4. namethisfile macrumors 6502a

namethisfile

my advice is to pick the best speaker you can afford and prefer and i bet this would fit well with an imac. the best way to do this is to go to the store itself, like the apple store, where they have the speakers on display for you to play with.....

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

6. obey908 macrumors 6502a

Swan m10's aren't a true 2.1, but sound good and look good next to the imac.

7. Helmigurt macrumors member

I have the Bose Companion 5. They look great and sound nice but I think you can get better speakers for 400$.

I like them, but their value proposition is a bit off.

8. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I have the Logitech z 2300 and they sound great.

9. phas3 macrumors 65816

god some of those speakers are expensive. How about some inexpensive recommendations?

10. yukio macrumors regular

the audioengine A2s are sweet - and I guess mid-to-high price wise.
    self-powered, great-sounding (esp for 2.1) and have a wireless option.
    http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-2

m-audio and behringer have gome good models in the $100-$200 range, too.

11. jshelton macrumors 6502a

12. krravi macrumors 65816

Try the Cakewalk MA-15D(by Roland) Studio monitor speakers. I just got them and they are awesome. They offer a multitude of connections in the back from digital to RCA. independent controls for both inputs and best of all a separate connection for a subwoofer.

These are a little expensive due to the quality of the speakers.They retail around $189.00. but J&R has them for sale at $149.00.
    If you happen to get a USB audio interface like cakewalk or apogee, you will love these speakers.

I havent connected my subwoofer yet and the bass is plenty for a desktop.

13. Blair230 macrumors regular

+2 On the soundsticks :D

14. evangw macrumors regular

I've always been a fan of the Altec Lansing FX6021's http://www.amazon.com/Altec-Lansing-FX6021-Speaker-System/dp/B0001EMLXE

You'll have to get them used, but I still have my pair and love it, and they blend in with all the other brushed steel. All the new Altec Lansings look ugly and like cheap plastic to me. Probably they'll cost about $150 on eBay or wherever.

15. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Damn this thread blew up. I need to start looking at all yer suggestions but just a few 1st thought.

Checked out JBLs, I like the looks of them, but no sub kills the deal for me.

I owned the sound stick back when I had a dual G4 tower. Have they really advanced that much? Not saying I didn't like em back then, but that was like what 10 ago.

Gonna check out yer other links now. Thanks so much for the feedback so far and please keep it coming!

16. The JTizzle thread starter macrumors 6502

The JTizzle

Forgot to toss up an update. Went with the Sound Sticks 3. Still waiting for them to come in the mail, but sure they will sound great. Thanks for all the input.