2.1 Speakers w/ Optical In and Aux 3.5 in?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adversus, Jan 23, 2015.

1. adversus macrumors regular

adversus

Hey folks -

I'm looking at re-doing my home-office setup. I've got an OWC thunderbolt docking station coming which should help with some cable clutter, but I'm trying to decide what to do about my audio situation.

I'm currently using my ~10 year old Logitech Z-5500's. I love them, these are the best multi-media speakers I've ever owned. But I think I'm just running out of desk space for them. The below pictures show what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Setup on the right is mine, my work + play desk. The iMac is my wife's.

What I'm looking for is a solid 2.1 replacement for the 5500's, something that I run Optical from my Mac Pro (it's between desk and wall on the right), and Audio from my soon-to-be-arriving Thunderbolt station which will be driven from the rMBP. I want to switch audio inputs easily, basically.

Any suggestions?

2. mfram macrumors 65816

Are you looking for something a little more high-end? I got the Focal Little Bird 2.1 Pack to replace a Logitech system. Very powerful system for computers and other sources with several analog inputs and a couple digital inputs. Also includes an option for wireless input from a USB dongle. The system is kinda spendy because of the Focal name. Focal also makes a slightly lower end 2.1 system, but I don't know if it has digital inputs.

3. adversus thread starter macrumors regular

adversus

Price probably not a huge issue as long as it's not crazy (i.e. would probably like to keep it under $2k).

I don't use my 5500's as much because my new home-office opens directly into the living room. So music comes via the home theatre system when we want some tunes.

I'd like some clean sound for video (streaming the TV to my rMBP currently) and gaming. Don't care as much about Surround sound anymore, headphones take care of that.

My primary focus is finding a good multi-input option that has a nice, rich sound.

----------

The Little Bird setup looks nice, but I honestly don't know where I'd put the horizontal power unit. Especially if it's got a downward facing driver, how's that feel on the desk (assuming you have yours on the desk, or is it on a shelf)?

4. mfram macrumors 65816

The power unit can stand vertically. There are feet on the back that lets that happen. I stand the power unit vertically behind my 27" monitor. That minimizes the desk space it uses up.

I ended up facing the sub toward the monitor and it sounds great. Depending on how close it is to a wall, it might sound better if the sub faces the wall.

The system is quite powerful and can easily fill a medium sized room with big sound.

5. mfram macrumors 65816

Focal pics. Sorry about the goofy lighting from my blinds.

Attached Files:

6. adversus thread starter macrumors regular

adversus

Nice, thanks for that! I'm looking to see if somewhere local might have some I can go have a listen.

Also looking at a set from B&W too.