2.1 Speakers With Only 1 Speaker Working

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SCHMEGGA, Feb 23, 2015.

1. SCHMEGGA macrumors newbie

So I received my new speakers yesterday. They have a separate sub and 2 satellites. Each speaker plugs into sub separately. The problem I am having is that the line from my iMac's headphone port to the sub is a a standard 3.5 to dual RCA (red & white) hookup. For some reason I am only getting sound from one of the satellites. I can switch the hookup on the sub and the other speaker will play. So I know it is not a speaker issue. Why am I not getting audio in both satellites at the same time? In the "Sound" preferences the only option I have is for "headphones." When I hook up my headphones I get stereo sound to both sides. I feel it must be some issue with the iMac not sending the correct signal. I have tried several 3.5 to dual RCA cords that I have and get the same result from all of them. My last speakers worked flawlessly (2.1s as well they but hooked up 3.5 to 3.5) and so this is getting very frustrating to me. Would an external audio interface help? Thanks for help.

2. martinm0 macrumors 6502a

These are entirely new speakers? Subwoofer too? If so, I would think the issue is the subwoofer and not the iMac. If you can swap speakers and only one terminal outputs sound, it sounds like the sub. If the subwoofer is not new and was the same that worked before, I'd say make sure the 3.5mm cable is seated fully. Otherwise, you may need to hook up the old speakers and make sure the subwoofer works properly.