2.1 Speakers

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by blizzardnorth, Jun 2, 2009.

1. blizzardnorth macrumors member

Hello, I previously posted about the best set of 2.1 speakers, but some things have changed and I have a few new options.

1) Harmon Kardon Soundsticks 2 ~100 via amazon
    2) Logitech Z-2300 ~ 110 via amazon or 130 @ best buy
    3) Bose Companion 3 series 2 ~ 249 at many retail stores
    4) Altec Lansing FX6021

*I was thinking about the Bose Companion 5 series 2 but since I would like to hook these up to my TV and PS3 eventually, this would not seem like the best option. Bose companion 5 series 2 only hook up to the computer via USB.

I am really thinking about purchasing the Sounsticks 2 for ~100 on amazon. I can get it delivered in 2 days for a total of ~120.

The logitech Z-2300 would be another option, but I've heard from many people that the soundsticks 2 are better overall than the Z-2300.

I did a little looking at the Altec Lansing FX6021, but I feel if I am going to be spending that much money I might as well get the Bose companion 3 series 2.

does anyone have experience in comparing the soundsticks 2 with the bose companion 3 series 2?

I think I have really narrowed it down to either the soundsticks or the bose speakers.

Any, I repeat, ANY information/experience/knowledge/hands on review/comparision would be GREATLY appreciated.

I would like to purchase speakers in the next few days.

Thanks all!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Hands down the FX6021, hard to find though ... I think.
    I have Bose but they're purely for form factor and they lack everywhere else. I had the soundsticks and they were great but they lacked on lows. I have no opinion of Logitech but people tend to love them.

3. carlosbutler macrumors 6502a

carlosbutler

depends how much you are planning on spending. if you dont mind then make sure you hear both of them, and decide that way

by the way, with the Bose Companion 5 you can plug in to the computer via USB and then also have a PS3 connected to the sound system at the same time via the audio jack. this also means the tv connected via the audio jack.

you use the sound from the HDMI cable to the TV from the PS3, and the TV should have audio out of some form and then you can plug that into the bose, or any other system. that way you get tv sound, playstation sound and computer sound. the system will also allow for multiple sounds at once, for example i play GT5 on the PS3, and listen to music from iTunes at the same time.

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Go to the Apple Store because most of the carry three of the four (not the Logitechs)... Best advice hands down. I still vote for the FX6021.

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Man, I didn't realize these were out of production and hard to find now. I think I got them for about $160 several years ago and expected they'd be quite cheap now.

If you do plan to use them with a TV/PS3 eventually, if any of those models have digital optical input, that would be a fantastic option. IMO Logitech's speakers tend to sound dull for music but great for games and movies. I've never heard the Bose.